Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass amp replacement speaker!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by boardingpyro, Nov 25, 2004.

1. boardingpyro

boardingpyro

Nov 25, 2004
    I have a behringer 60watt bass amp that has a speaker that has rattling problems with some notes and it also distorts really easily ( at 1/2 vol.) I pulled it out only to see that it is only a 50 watt RMS rated speaker this really pissed me :mad: !! off especially because the manual says the speaker is a 100 watt one but ANYWAY i want to replace the speaker and was wondering if this is a good replacement??

http://www.tubesandmore.com/new/scr...P-A-MOD12-110-8

edit: corrected link http://www.tubesandmore.com/new/scr...ts/cemirror/ELEVATOR.FXP?item=P-A-MOD12-110-8

2. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Link does not work.

What is the diameter of the speaker?

What is the ohms rating of the speaker?

3. boardingpyro

boardingpyro

Nov 25, 2004
    The corrected link is here. It is a 12" speaker and 8 ohms

4. I Have the same amp, a Behringer BX600 60w combo.

I have opened mine up, and mine indeed has a 100w 12" 8 ohm driver in it.

I'm surprised that yours is 50w.

Did you buy it new? If so, I'd be making some noise - go back to the store, and ask some questions.

If you bought it second hand, it may not be the original driver, and the previous owner may have replaced the original with a 50w driver.

I bought mine new, and it's certainly a 100 w driver in it.

Good luck,

Luke.

:bassist:

5. boardingpyro

boardingpyro

Nov 25, 2004
    Yeah I bought it new like 4 months ago and after two months it started having trouble.. I bought it from an online store and of course they say the warrenty is through behringer, but behringer charges shiping to ship it back which costs as much as a replacement speaker. The attatched pic. is of the speaker... The scratches was when I was seeing if there was bolts to tighten the magnet to the basket because thats what causes the rattle.

Attached Files:

6. That's a shame.

Anyway, I guess if the shipping is as much as a new driver, I'd put in a new driver.

But, like I say - mine certainly has a 100w driver in it. So before I went out and forked over any money, I'd sure be making some big noise as yours only says 50w.

Good Luck,

Luke.

7. boardingpyro

boardingpyro

Nov 25, 2004
    Allright Thanks!
    Anyone know a good replacement speaker?

8. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
  9. boardingpyro

boardingpyro

Nov 25, 2004
    nice... I spent only like $125 on the amp though.. They gave me like 25 bucks off because I had to wait longer than expected, but what Eminence speaker do you think would be good in my price range of with a max of 75 bucks?

10. boardingpyro

boardingpyro

Nov 25, 2004
  11. Hey,

Just out of interest - I opened up my combo again tonight and took a quick pic of the back of my speaker from my BX600 for your reference.

I would really make some noise to Behringer about this. It's worth a try before you blow money on a new driver.

It's very interesting that it has exactly the same model number as yours (12B50A8) but mine reads 100watts, and 8 ohms and yours reads 50 watts - can't read the impedance on yours though.

I wonder what's going on Behringer???

[​IMG]

:confused: :bassist: :confused:

12. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    I wonder how we could get these guys to reply to this thread. They seem to know their stuff. I wonder if they could recommend a cheaper alternative. Or give advice on those two speakers you picked out.

Looking for a replacement speaker

I pm'ed bgavin and bassbinge and billfritzmarice and invited them to look here. I have never done that before. It would be neat to get them to reply on this thread.

tim99

13. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Did anyone notice that the speakers have the same part number?? All the way down to the barcode??

-robert

14. boardingpyro

boardingpyro

Nov 25, 2004
    Nice observation, but I still have very bad rattling coming out of the speaker and the speaker distorts when you start nearing 1/2. I emailed behringer and I am still waiting for a reply; others online (read here under good for a while) have experienced the same thing I have and they bought it around the same time, so maybe behringer had a batch of speakers that were underpower. Maybe they didnt care and shipped them out; maybe they were pressed for time? I dont know.. I might still need to buy a new driver does anyone have any advice?

15. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    The Gamma that you have listed above should work nicely... Yes, the box probably is not specifically designed for a Gamma, but in this amplifier price-range it's more about a working speaker than optimal response... Of course, this is assuming that Behringer won't expend too much effort to make things right, which may not be a valid assumption...

You may also look to Carvin for a low-cost replacement

-robert

16. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    Yeh, I emailed Behringer months ago and have never heard a damn word. Fu#@ Behringer! Anyway, get with Marc at Dr. Bass and/or Dave at Avatar and see what they would charge to send you an appropriate Eminence speaker for your amp. Thay both deal in Eminence USA hard core speakers which will cure your problem. It's worth your time, believe me! Good Luck.......

17. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    A Gamma is no good for bass, the xmax is inadequate. In any event no matter how good the driver it must be matched to the enclosure or it won't work properly. As for the Behringer driver, the wattage matters not, the quality does, and the old saying 'you get what you pay for' is once again proven. You're best off to find a repairman who knows his fs from his xmax and can figure out a proper quality replacement driver.

18. Post the exact internal measurements here, and measurements for any ports that are present.

Post your requirements for low end (i.e. low E, low B).

Is there a tweeter or other high frequency unit present?

The existing cabinet will dictate the replacement driver.

19. I agree with the poster that said to raise heck with the Behringer customer service first.

Then if that does not pan out...look at the Eminence Kappa Pro. It is $100 less than the Magnam. Very good bass speaker.

20. boardingpyro

boardingpyro

Nov 25, 2004
    Okay guys Behringer replied to my email! They even said they would give me a replacement woofer free of charge, but I still want a new driver; billfitzmaurice is right about quality. I'll just keep the replacement just in case ;) . So for the new driver, I play with standard tuning 4string (MusicMan Sub not active) and the measurements of the amp are,
    21 3/4" (550mm) x 18 1/8" (460mm) x 12" (305mm) **
    because this is a combo amp the measurements include the amp (of course).. If you want, I'll take a picture of the inside of the amp to give you a better idea.. Thanks for all the help!

** I'll give you exacts of the inside the next time my amps back at my house (Its at my drummer's house)