1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass amp setting anybody?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by toddLURR, May 26, 2011.

1. toddLURR

toddLURR

Apr 29, 2011
    USA
    I have a gibson thunderbird and a GK Stack. I am not finding a tone to my liking..

Any suggestions on a good amp setting

2. If you can't get a sound you like out of that gear there's no setting that will help. Try the "buy a Jazz Bass" setting. :)

3. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Put all of the knobs at the neutral setting (no boost or cut), read the manual to figure out where to put everything, do not push any buttons in, set the gain correctly, and go from there. Try small adjustments and see if you start getting tones you like. Rather than boosting every knob, try decreasing the knobs to get what you want.

If everything still sounds bad - how old are your strings? Is your bass sounding good on other rigs? Dead strings can make ANY setup sound terrible. If your bass sounds great on other setups; you might not like the setup you currently have. Good luck.

4. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    ^ That covers it extremely well.
    I would only add that if you're looking for advice on settings and gear, please let us know what you're looking for. (Sound is too muddy? Sound is too clean? etc.)