Bass Amp Setup For A Beginner *please Help Me*

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassbillybob, Jun 6, 2001.

1. bassbillybob

Jun 6, 2001
    Hi! ive been playing bass for a few years now, always used a 160 watt combo. just joined a band and i need a bigger deeper sound. im planning on buying an amp and a cabinet. thats what i need right? if im not gonna be using a combo? so if i get a say 300 watt amp and a 2x15 cab then that will be cool yeh??? please help me, music shop people intimidate me. i would love to be a little educated before i go in there. thanks!
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

billybob - Welcome to where all we "deep" people congregate!

The real questions before I can give you a useable answer, are;

- what kind of money are you looking to spend ?

- what kind of bass do you have, (espec. number of strings)?

- what kind of music do you play?, (e.g., hard rock, competing with a Les Paul through a Marshall stack, or wedding music with a guitar through just a Fender twin?)

As a generic answer, a good value with good volume is a Carvin R600 or R1000 head, (600W/1000W respectively) through one of their 4x10"s and their 15". That's in the $1300 neighborhood, plus shipping (they're mail order unless you live in S. California).
  3. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    One rule of thumb is to have 3x-4x the wattage of your guitarist (so if he has a 100 watt Marshall, you should have something in the 300-400 watt range). Remember that a really low, thick sound takes huge ammounts of power to produce. As far as speakers and cabinents, do some searches and check out what people have had to say there. I prefer 15" speakers for their depth of sound and warmness.

Heed Rickbass1's advice.
    Other good bass amps (though they are certainly more expensive; but worth it in my opinion) and cabinents are made by:

Gallien Krueger -
    SWR Engineering -
    *Eden Electronics -
    Hartke Systems -

Hope I got all those addresses correct...anyway, there's other good manufacturers out there as well. These are just a few of the well known upper-end ones. Good luck and try before you buy.

*Thanks Ubersam
  4. Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I prefer 10 inch speakers myself, but I demand that my cab be ported for the better low end response. I play Eden gear, and my musical genre is sort of light alternative rock, like Collective Soul, Counting Crows, Tonic, and Better Than Ezra's music. My ported 4x10 cab gives me the tight high end I like with plenty of lows. My amp can put 800 watts into my cab (the WT-800 mono bridges into 8 ohms), but I've never done that, I've only used about 200 watts since my cab is 8 ohms and I don't bridge. Been plenty loud for the very little gigging I've done in the past 2 years.

That's just what I like and my musical type. This is just my plug for Eden (which is high dollar, so I recommend buying used, that's what I did), but look at the other brands mentioned I haven't seen a "bad" one yet. I have noticed no one's mentioned Ampeg ( which is another popular brand with a good reputation.

Good luck with the search, and let us know if you have any more questions.
  5. ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    minor correction to WK's post -

You might also want to check out EBS stuff. And if you're on a budget, try some used stuff. Although, a used Eden WT-600 is still a couple hundred more than a Carvin R-600. Don't forget Ampeg, I've played through an OLD-cover-peeling-some-wood-exposed-corners-worn-out-all-tube amp [not sure what model] and an 8x10 cab. Back then, I thought that it was the best gritty agressive rock sound I've heard, until I burnt out the power tubes and the amp eventually got "misplaced" by some construction workers and the 8x10 cab was repo'd by the owner. Now I use Eden/EBS.