1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Amp simulations (VST)

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by BwanaDust, Apr 17, 2019.

1. BwanaDust

BwanaDust Commercial User

Apr 11, 2019
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Lincoln Learning Solutions - Lincoln Park Performing Arts Center
    While there seem to be a few fairly good guitar sims out there these days, I've yet to find anything for bass that was great. The Amplitude Ampeg stuff is just awful. The Overloud Mark bass plug is not much better. Most guitar sims have one or two bass patches and that's it.

The only dedicated one that I found usuable was the Kuassa Cerebus bass. You can load cab IRs and I've actually managed to get a decent sound out of it. Normally I just go DI or mic a cab.

Anyone else have any luck with these?

2. Mcgiver69

Mcgiver69

Sep 28, 2005
    England
  3. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    I use Amplitube and like it a lot. Very versatile.

4. BwanaDust

Apr 11, 2019
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I just don't think it sounds anything like an Ampeg. I've got a b15 and theirs is nothing like it.

5. BwanaDust

Apr 11, 2019
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks! I'll check them out!

6. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    i haven't tried the B15 sim. i use the trace elliot and acoustic 360 ones quite a bit for bass. i kinda don't care how much they sound like the originals. they produce bass sounds that are usable in mixes.

7. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    if you have a B15, mic it. done. ;) if you need to have a quiet recording situation, the REDDI DI is a good tone match from what i've heard.

8. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
  9. BwanaDust

Apr 11, 2019
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I do most of the time. Or I use an old Demeter Tube DI, which is my all time favorite. I am mainly curious about what's out there now.

I got a bundle from IK multimedia a few years ago (Unfortunately it was all 32 bit), and I tried the Acoustic and Trace. Didn't mind them at all. But I really don't like the guitar Sims in Amplitude. And I can't justify getting into the whole UAD thing. I've got some nice hardware (2 6176s), but they can keep their plugins and their Apollos. I'm not saying they're not good, but they really don't hold a candle to the Prism AD/DA we have at work, or the Orpheus I have at home.

Thanks for your input. One of the students where I work has a REDD unit. I might swap with him for a few days to see what it sounds like.

Most of the time I just use the direct sound from bass, but I would like to try something else.

The Kuassa Cerebus is really nice.

And I likes this.
  10. I use the ignite amps stuff as well, not only the shb-1 but I pair it with their tube power stage emulation and then into your IR of choice. If it wasn't so expensive you could also try the helix native plug in.

11. Weberman

Weberman

Apr 8, 2014
    Nilbog, Ohio
    I use UAD plugins. The bass amp sims are very good, and play well with their other plugins (compressor, EQ, and tape make a pretty good recording chain). You must have their hardware, though. The Ampeg plugins are made by Brainworx for UA, so it is possible they might release other formats in the future. In the meantime, they are exclusive to the UAD platform.

BwanaDust likes this.
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The best patch on the Amplitube Ampeg plugin is the SVT 4 Pro.

13. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I'm one of those guys who sees a bass amp as more of a limitation than as part of the instrument. The exception to this is when I want to emulate a '60s sound with flats, foam at the bridge, and a tube amp sound with a boxy cab. Most of the time I get the sound I want by plugging straight in, adding compression and EQ, and that's it. It seems to me that those sims are just that, a certain type of compression, certain type of EQ, and some HPF/LPF to emulate the high and low cutoffs of a speaker cabinet. I don't use overdrive but if I did I'd rather get it from a pedal.

Dabndug and mikewalker like this.
  14. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    I have been extremely impressed by Scuffham amps and Bias FX. These are made for guitar but work great with Bass. With Scuffham you can use your own IR's so that part is great.
    Unlike physical amps you won't risk hurting anything with low frequency input, and no speakers to worry about.
    Dirk

15. BwanaDust

Apr 11, 2019
    Pittsburgh, PA
    You hit the nail on the head Dirk. I have been using Sgear, since they offered it with the Slate Everything Bundle. I have a bunch of IR cabs and use them with it. Sounds great. What doesn't sound great is the Overloud THU Slate Edition bundle that they offer instead of Sgear. But that's another story.

I ended up buying Sgear, because when you compare it to the THU, you can see what a joke the THU is. It's a buggy demo that has been marketed most deceptively. Thanks for the comment!

16. Solude

Solude

Sep 16, 2017
    To each their own. I love TH3 but would admit it took a while to get 'my sound' just right. Neural Darkglass is also great. Helix Native just didn't do anything for me. Amplitube was problematic when I tried it.

17. NorseBear0903

NorseBear0903 Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2018
    There are a lot of great modeling programs out there now. Neural Darkglass and STL Tonality and my top 2 right now. The UADs are also excellent

18. Bolsyo

Bolsyo

Oct 18, 2015
    Norway
    Wall of Sound plugin from Two Notes. It's basically a cab-sim software, but it also has a poweramp section where you can choose tubes and saturation. Paired with some Ampeg cabs and a nice multi-mic setup in the plugin, it sounds way better than any regular ampsim software I've tried.

NorseBear0903 likes this.
  19. georg_f

georg_f

Apr 16, 2014
    Vienna
    Ampeg SVX is is my favorite.
    But mostly just the SVT-4 Pro model

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups