Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass amp soap opera continues

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chasarms, Jun 29, 2001.

1. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    i'll start by telling you what I do. I play in a Christian praise band. We play about 120 dates a year including services, camps and other stuff, so I really use my gear. Counting rehearsals and private practice, it probably logs 12-14 hours a week of use.

Our band is guitar, bass, two keyboards, aux. percussion, drum kit, acoustic and vocals. We use Roland V drums and the guitar player uses a -18db attenuator, so stage volume is not like a metal band.

My basses are G&L L-2500 and a Tobias growler.

For the last two years, I have been using a Carvin R600 and a Carvin RL410T. I bought it because of the price and regretted it shortly after. I was never happy with the sound of the thing, but about a year ago we started a new service in our big room. Seats about 1500. The stage is a peninsula type and our P.A. and monitors are all EAW with crown power amps. Basically a 20,000 watt, top-of-the-line home stereo. We had a horrible problem with bleed so I bought a POD pro and starting running DI. I was so happy with the sound of the POD that I started using it with my Carvin rig when I did need an amp. This improved things ten fold, but about two weeks ago, I decided I was sick of lugging a half stack and had too much gear money tied up in gear I didn't like.

So I sold the Carvin. All and all, I am glad it is gone. My first attempt at combo was the GK 400RB210. I even posted reply about it in another string. It really does sound good. But after attempting to gig with it Saturday night, I was left wanting. It just didn't have the head room. So Monday, I ordered on reputation only, a Nemesis NC210P. IT showed up yesterday. I kept the GK and ABed them for a couple of hours last night. With your basic guitar-cable-amp setup, I think the Nemesis smokes the GK. I prefer the tone and the features and it makes twice the volume. I need to decide this weekend which one gets returned on Monday. Right now, the GK is looking like it is going back to its home at GC, but this weekend will be the final test.

I tend to just go on feel. Is there any particular things that any of you folks would consider when attempting to conduct this test? My Saturday night gig is by far the most comtemporary that we do and gets pretty loud as the guitar player really opens up and we run the stage volume pretty hot in the monitors.

Again, everything we do is with huge, nice PAs. I am only looking for the stage volume I need and the tone.

Thanks,

Chas

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If I had the bucks and I could see my rig everyday, I'd go Aguilar (their GS410 and 115 pushed by their DB 728 all tube amp [8 hand-picked AG6550's] and their DB 680 tube preamp).

Seriously, give Aguilar a listen. Fat just drips off the tone and it gets building demolition-loud. If that doesn't do it for you, I don't know what will.

3. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    I have played through amps that where terrible to listen to alone but would kik butt in a band situation, not saying the gk is one of them but give it fightin chance under real world conditions and you will know pretty quickly which one is the one to have.

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I'd just bring both amps and switch between them at any opportunity you have (set changes, etc.). You already said you think the GK ain t making it, either the Nemesis does (then you're all set) or it doesn't. Trial by fire :)

Can you hook up your POD so that it feeds both amps at once? Then just use the master volumes or even the power switch to bring them in and out.

5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I guess I could POD with them both using a signal splitter. I was planning on running them both without the POD and using nothing but three cables and my old morley A/B switch. That way I can try each's DI. preamp and the whole nine yards. It would be nice not to have to take the POD to gigs that I was using an amp. I know it is only a 2 space unit, but it seems like I break down and set up every day of my life. I am looking for a plug and play experience.

When I was a kid, I loved rigging my Ampeg Stack. It was sort of like tweaking the carbs before the drag race. But then I gigged 2-3 times a month. These days, I just want to play. If I had the money, I'd buy enough amps to leave one at every place I ever might have to play. Roadies are a wonderful thing.

Thunderstick,

MY experience with the GK was exactly the reverse. It sounded great with me just playin along with some of my rehearsal tracks. But when I tried it with the band, it got swallowed. I was a little but afraid to push it, but this week since I have the Nemesis, I am going to crank it. If the GK goes into thermal protect, I am a footswitch away from being back in action.

Chas

6. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I would not buy the Nemisis. I have heard that it breaks down easy, and requires shop time.

If you do a search on GK posts, you'll find a few of my detailed posts on GKs. As far as heads, I have owned the 400b, 400rb, 800rb, and just bought a 1001rb. GK is not the best amp, but it is a good reliable amp with good tone. headroom depends on wattage. The 400 (200+ watts rms) is underpowered for most current situations, unless your playing in a small lounge.

The 1001rb head has enough headroom and great tone for most situations. It's reasonably priced at Musicians' Friend too

Just my humble 2 cents.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Eden WT-800 and one or two Eden D-410XLTs. You will never buy another rig, so just bite the danged bullet and get over it.

This is the preferred stage rig of countless pros in all genres. There's a reason. Praise god, whatever you perceive it to be. That's all.