1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass & Amp sound supprise

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by topcat2069, Apr 24, 2010.

1. topcat2069

topcat2069

Dec 2, 2007
    Palm Springs
    I played a gig in a small bar the other night. I play an American P Bass Deluxe through a GK RB 1001 and GK 1X15 & 1X12 NEO cabs. It was sort of a jam night and only one Bass player showed up. I sat out front directly in line of my amp and was really surprised, my Bass and rig sounded sort of like a Tuba (that's the only way I can describe it)

I understand that I wasn't playing and the other Bass player more than likely had completely different right and left hand technique. But it sure got me wondering how my rig sounds when I'm playing.

2. toobalicious

toobalicious

May 6, 2008
    triad, nc
    the "trademark" GK "growl" perhaps?

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    your whole perspective on your rig can change if you have speakers that aren't pointing toward your ears. plus if the room is prone to a lot of bass reflection, that can also change it. my solution (after talking about it with the experts on here) is to eq for the room and step off stage with a wireless or long cable to listen, and have my cab either tilted back or tall enough to where it hits my ears more directly.

4. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    That's why I lie down next to my cab when we play live. It is the only way I can really tell what I sound like. The only problem is the band is getting really tired of playing "Horizontal Bop" over and over and over...

5. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses

:D:D:D

6. topcat2069

topcat2069

Dec 2, 2007
    Palm Springs
    It didn't seem to have the "lows" that I experience when I'm playing and standing in front of the cabs...... I think that's what surprised me so much.... I don't use a lot of EQ (if any, mostly just low or a little low mid).... I'm even thinking it's the Bass... which seems to be very "mid focused" to my ears (but records very full range) Hmmm.... I have a very "tight" style of playing... and lot of right hand note stopping (it's been called funky W/lots of dead string notes that I use for spacers between the note I want to sound) whereas the other player played very fast (lots of notes in scales and riffs) and might have used a lighter touch..... My experience has been that bass blooms into a room, so I've been not very low heavy with this rig...... I also play a 5 stringer and I'm wondering if it sounds the same....

7. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Demons run when a good man goes to war

Jan 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Commercial FREE!
    Back in the 80's when I used to gig, we would set up in the afternoon and do a sound-check, with LONG cords to listen, but to an empty room. We didn't have a dedicated sound-man. We relied on girlfriends/wives/friends to be our ears. They were obviously familiar with the sound we were after, and would help us fine tune during the first set, and through-out the night. if needed.

Just a random thought,
    X8

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    who could get tired of that? ;)

9. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I like Tubas.

10. smoothdave

smoothdave

May 24, 2009
    You guys assume that he's making a joke when that may not be so. I've been known to sit down on the floor and lean back against my cab when I play.

It's cool because I can emphatically state that my bass sounds nothing like a tuba, and that's a good thing to know. :)

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    you must put on a hell of a show.

:D

12. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    speaking of amp/ bass combo..play a bright vm squier jazz bass through a thumpy peavey combo amp, wow what a sound who needs the expensive stuff.

13. elavate7

elavate7

Jul 8, 2009
    its all about "THE POCKET"
    112 and a 115..........sounds like a good match up!

14. smoothdave

smoothdave

May 24, 2009
    :)
    I nearly fell off my chair when I read that.

Thanks, man.
    :)

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    lol! in all honesty, i can't throw stones...the guys in my band tell me i've developed a habit of staring at my amp. i tell them if they had amps as pretty as my vintage ampegs, they'd stare at them too ;)

i have made a conscious effort to stop, but i still catch myself doing it.