Bass Amp suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fonqueman, Mar 30, 2001.

1. fonqueman

Jul 5, 2000
    Fellow Bassists,
    Bass Amps. Where to begin? I'm a sucessful bassist that has just recently obtained the means to purchase a new rig. I just received my new Warwick Thumb Thru 4-string, and damn!!! However to do such a masterful bass creation justice, I'm in the market for a new amp. I've played through different heads, cabs, and combos and found that I favor a more high-end sound. A friend owns a Carvin 18" and it's just too muddy sounding for me. Top that 18" with a Hartke 4x10 and I'm a happier man! I'm looking for suggestions on what type to get, combo, head/cab, and manufacturers. I've looked at SWR, BagEnd, Hartke, Gallien-Krueger. I'm familiar with pricing for the most part, I just need YOUR help to decide on what sound would work best for a bassist that slaps, pops, hammers, plucks, taps and funks his way around charts and enjoys solid mid-range and high-end as well as some rumbling low-end. Thanks to all for your help!
  2. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I play funk, soul, R&B, and jazz. I use Fender P and J basses, and I like the full-range sound. The variety of styles I play require the amp to do a good job reproducing the P-bass thump (Jamerson, Prestia, and others) as well as J-bass slap (Marcus Miller, Nathaniel Phillips, etc.).

I recently auditioned an Eden D-410XLT, and it seemed close to perfect for a 4-string P-bass by itself. However, I also play a 5-string, and as in your case, I want serious rumble on the bottom. If you haven't already, see my posts in the thread, "Eden 215XLT anyone": ( It describes the rig I'm using now. I also did a review of the 215XLT in the Reviews section. Everyone has different personal preferences, but I want my amp to give me an accurate and traditional sound. Hope you find what you're looking for!

- Mike

BTW: I also have the Carvin 1x18, and I agree: it does not satisfy the need by itself.
  3. bassguy187

Jun 27, 2000
    Nazo, PA
    You need an ampeg svt-cl head (all tube),
    and a mesa boogie road ready 15,
    and a mesa boogie 4 x 10,
    i have an svt-cl,
    but i don't have those mesa cabs, i have an swr 4 x10 and a crate 15 inch cab, but i want to trade them for the mesa cabs because
    i do know they sound real F***ing good
    together, because i played through them at this one
    gig that my band played at with my stingray and my ampeg and i could feel that deep growl that everyone wants. try it out,
    i know you won't be able to pass it up,
    its just a matter of if you have enuff cash,
  4. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    As a follow up to MikeyD's post I have an Eden 410XTL and it will definitely do what you need. I use mine with both 4 and 5 strings and it reproduces the B string excellently. It is the only cabinet that I gig with and I can use it in just about any size venue.
  5. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Ooops..forgot the other half of the equation.I power it with an Eden WT-500.
  6. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Knowing from my other posts, what am I gonna say?!

Get a Peavey BAM 210 combo and get a Peavey 115BXBW to hook up with it, if you need the extra power. (It's 250 watts stand alone, and 500 with an extra cab)

Check it out:

Make sure to check out all the nifty controls it has... Like onboard distortion, auto-wah, delay, chorus, flange, fretless simulator, phaser, synth, octave, amp modeling, DDT speaker protection AND compressor.

It's a 2x10 with a tweeter cabinet, produces more than enough power, comes with wheels... front ported, tilt back-like design... What more could you ask for?

I don't think you could ask for more in a bass combo...
  7. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    If you're truly considering hi-fi, some of the brands you need to consider are the following...

Walter Woods

I'm partial to EBS (check my profile). I find that the Fafner is as versatile, clear (or dirty), punchy, etc as you'll ever want, and then some! In fact, check out the review Bass Player Magazine did on it

I'm not saying you need to limit your shopping to these brands, but I think you'll find that you can find all that slapping, plucking, picking, tapping, funking, slamming, strumming, etc in each of these brands...