Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass amp suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassampegman, Oct 20, 2005.

1. I have just returned to playing the bass, regulars on here may remember me as i had Ampeg, Ashdown, etc etc and just about most pedals in the past.

I also played a Musicman Bass ( now sold )

My question is i need a low cost bass rig to play small pub / bar venues in a 4 piece rock band and im looking at used gear to save money.

I am thinking of Hartke or Ashdown Mag300 any suggestions or thoughts, and yes i know they arnt the best heads in the world but for a hobby band they should be fine for me.

2. Anybody ??

3. the_home

the_home Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    I've been playing a SWR Bassic Black for several years now and really like the portability (1x15 combo) and the versatility of tone, with a tube front end and solid state power section. Adequate power for small venues and for larger ones I add a 2x10 cab to move more air. :bassist:

The Bassic Black (later called just Basic Black) is out of production now, but was picked by Bass Player mag as the best amp available under $1000 when it was in SWR's production line.

They can be found for around $300 on the used market.

4. I've been using an Ashdown Mag 2x10 Combo and an Ashdown Mag 1x15 DeepCab for some time now and, despite the fact that they are getting heavy use rehearsal and gig-wise, they have served me exceptionally well thus far and I would whole heartedly recommend the combination, particularly at the price they can currently be bought on certain internet auction sites. ;) ;)