1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass/Amp Tone Advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ScottyQBass86, Mar 17, 2008.

1. ScottyQBass86

ScottyQBass86

Mar 16, 2008
    Hey guys I need some help. I'm looking for some advice. I've been thinking about what kind of tone I want, and what kind of bass and amp that would require. I've narrowed it down to something not too narrow at all. I'd like to be able, hopefully with one bass and one amp, to easily switch between an aggressive 90's rock tone, an old school reggae ton, a deeper dub tone, and a punchy ska tone. Anybody know of/have any suggestions about a bass and amp combo that fits the bill?

2. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Jazz bass and the amp of your choice.

3. Any decent bass guitar and amp should do that job. Most of getting the sound and style really depends on your fingers. --Kent

4. Yeah I'd have to go with the Jazz Bass as well, it's pretty versatile tone-wise.

5. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I personally feel a 3-band onboard eq helps a ton also so that you're not turning around futzing with knobs mid-set.

Or at least a setup that allows you to switch predefined presets.

I do alot of cover type situation things, and live you really don't need to 'nail' a specific tone, but it's very nice to be able to change the character of your tone to make it more fitting to what people's brains remember for different songs. I have no problem going from something like a 80's Cure type sound to a dubby Sublime type sound by only adjusting my 3-band. Never touch my Amp all night.

I don't play a Fender or Jazz type bass, but the philosophy is all the same. I like the versatility of the onboard pre, but I'm tinkerer.

6. Built-in eq:s are indeed nice, especially if you have to jump in and use an unknown amp (like in a jam) and you need to adjust your sound while playing. Most Ibanez models have built-in eq:s. --Kent

7. ScottyQBass86

ScottyQBass86

Mar 16, 2008
    Thanks guys. Any amp specifics? Right now I'm looking into saving up for an Ampeg SVT-CL (the all tube ampeg) and some sort of five string jazz. I'm looking at SX basses right now actually. They're ridiculously cheap, so I'm skeptical, but I've heard good things so I'm considering. Any ideas how this would sound?

8. ScottyQBass86

ScottyQBass86

Mar 16, 2008
    and thank you again for the help

9. another amp that is great for what you may want is genz benz's gbe line, the 750 should suit your needs and it comes with a footswitch allowing you to engage certain tone shaping abilities on the fly, i use a gbe 600 and can get any tone i desire and the tube preamp can be beautifully blended to get you some growl and grit that you would want from the svt

10. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    An SX bass (search for Essex) would be a fine bass to get you started. Other good starter basses include the Squier Vintage Modified series, Peavey (you can find made in the USA Peaveys used for $200-300, a crazy good deal), Ibanez, Yamaha, etc.

My advice is not to worry about the passive/active debate. I love passive basses, personally, but if you prefer active, you can add a really nice active preamp to ANY bass for not much money. It is more important to find a bass that sounds good, feels nice in your hands, and is comfortable to play, rather than to worry about whether it is active or passive, IMHO.