Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass amp troubles

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jama, Mar 10, 2003.

1. jama

jama

Mar 9, 2003
    Belgium
    Hey.
    I bought a Randall RB100X bass amp(100 watt) a few days ago and after i had played for 10 minutes or so(yeah, i did turn up the volume and slapped a bit, but only for a few minutes, otherwise i play @ volume 5/10, gain 5/10 approximately, I didn't use this amp at a gig yet, I've only got it for a few days), i couldn't get a clean sound out of it anymore(the volume doesn't matter: I get the same sound playing softly as i get when I play loud. Every time I play a note, I hear this buzzing(and it's not the sound you normally get when you don't put your finger on the string in order to stop the vibration-I don't know the exact English word for that-). When I play with another bass(with older strings) I even get a kind of distorted sound.
    Anyway: what could cause this trouble. Is it possible i blew up a speaker? I also recorded an audio file of the sound I get, check out the attachment.

2. jama

jama

Mar 9, 2003
    Belgium
    The first attachment was the sound I get with the older bass, here comes the second attachment(the bass I use now):
    Of course there's some noise from the mic, but the crackle comes from the amp. It's difficult to hear the buzzing on this file though.

3. jama

jama

Mar 9, 2003
    Belgium
    Nobody seems to care, but that won't keep me from posting another attachment. :)
    Any help would be welcome.

4. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    Try looking inside the amp, see if anything fell out of place, check for any loose screws, etc

Try putting it on differenty surface floor, like soft carpet.

or else take it to somewhere that will repair it.

5. Now wait a minute, You'd expect an answer within 24 hours? Come on, cool down.

You've got a PM.

6. jama

jama

Mar 9, 2003
    Belgium
    Yup, tnx :)
    (I was a bit too hasty there perhaps :) )
    Btw: before I came here, I posted my problem on several fora and I was getting a bit pissed off cuz I just didn't get any answers(except from you that is, Joris).

7. Ok, no sweat! I hope you can fix your amp!