1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass amp tube

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by OliverHumanzee, Apr 2, 2009.

1. The peavey TMax i purchased has two preamps; a solid state and a tube premap (single 12ax7) I can run either preamp seperately or blended together.

It came with an EI 12ax7 and was louder than the solid state but really lacked warmth and was clanky sounding.

So i popped in a groovetube 12ax7r i had laying around from my blues deluxe, much warmer but made it quieter than the solid state side when both are dimed.

So i put in a regular groovetube (non r) in the peavey, even warmer, a little louder than the solid state side and the best option so far. It adds a growl and a texture over the solid state.

I still feel i can do better though, i can try a tube from my Boogie Subway rocket. I have one to try since I put the EI in my mesa, but i do not like it at all. So i want to put my mesa back in the boogie.

What would be a good tube to buy? I am going for max volume (to use as a boost to my solid state channel when blended) and good warmth or at least good tone and character.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Geez, there's a ton out there. JJ, Tung Sol, Sovtek, there's even a Mullard "reissue" tube now. Plus if you go into NOS, you can get GE's, Sylvanias, Mullards, RCA's, etc. from the old days that really kick ass.

Here's a decent little link that should give you some idea of what's out there:

http://thetubestore.com/12ax7review.html

3. Oh, I have some mullards i can try too! Thanks for reminding me. I just have to pull them out of the fender.

I was just wondering if anyone had real world experience with tubes in base amps. I have found reviews to be decieving in many situations. I was hesitant to go by tube reviews based on guitar amps and guitars, plus you are looking for completely different attributes.

But this website looks helpful and thorough. Thanks!

4. To be honest I've never noticed a huge difference in sound when used in a bass amp. But I dare say I'm using an SVT which is probably a lot more tonally coloured than the Peavey.

5. the mojo hobo

the mojo hobo

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    The preamp tubes I like best are the Grove Tubes ECC83S and the JJ ECC83s. I think they are both JJ's. They deliver lots of good clean bass, and sound good overdriven too.

6. Hello Mojo Hobo

Have you ever compared the JJ ECC83S to the ECC803S "high gain?" Does anyone know if it will get More Volume.

I guess in an amp with just one tube preamp compared to a real tube amp you see the difference a lot more. I can hear all the subtle differences on the the peavey that I dont pickup on the Mesa Boogie or the Fender.

7. I compared them (JJ's, aswell as the standard and long plate ECC83's)

I have the high gain ones in my SVT, difference? Not that I can tell. Standard ones and a long plate are in my guitar amp. There was a difference with the long plate, but it was very (very) subtle in my amp. Seemed to make more of a difference in my guitar amp. Plus they say the long plates arent so good in bass amps as they are more prone to microphonics.

Hope that's of some use (probably not :p )

8. bassman251

bassman251

Jan 30, 2007
    Changing tubes can get you a slightly different sound. But with a single tube, I believe there is only so much you can do to alter the sound.

9. Im actually seeing a HUGE difference from tube to tube. Im pretty suprised. Looks like this will just be a trial and error deal here.

For now ill just run a standard groove tube. Thanks for the help. I think ill look into some JJs. Ive wanted to put some in my subway rocket anyway.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Some people hear differences better than others, and some gear is designed to where the tube(s) won't make much of a difference. I'm one who doesn't hear differences. If there are differences, they come across to me as extremely subtle.