1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Amp turned guitar amp-what effects pedal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bebass, Nov 30, 2006.

1. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    I posted in the amps forum cause this is basically an amp(cab) solution question.
    I plugged my acoustic/electric guitar in my LMII amp with drbass custom 112 cab. Other than a low-mid hump in the eq it sounds pretty good.
    This leads me to seeing if it would sound good for electric.
    Any bass players that switch hats to rhythm guitar players want to suggest an effects pedal that would give me:
    1) Reverb
    2) Distortion
    3) Enough EQ to compensate for the bass cab low-mid hump LMII has pretty good eq but I need to refine the response a little more for guitar.

Or should I just get one of those crate block amps, although would still need reverb.

It just seems that this amp/cab could also change hats like I occasionally do.

2. shooter_mi

shooter_mi

Sep 29, 2005
    Maine
    A guitar amp is really a different beast. You don't need nearly as much power, and there's a reason most of the cabinets are open. You could spend $250+ on reverb, distortion, and eq pedals trying to turn a bass rig into somethign for guitar and jkust wind up with a funny sounding guitar rig.

On the other hand, for just a few hundred more, you can buy any number of kick-butt tube guitar amps in the 15-50 watt range. Really, what you should do is buy the Peavey Delta Blues guitar amp classifieds. You wouldn't regret that.

3. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    Thanks,
    I have owned one of those Peavey Delta Blues amps - killer!
    I also own a guitar amp now.
    But I will have to disagree about the bass amp I have. It is a clean, full range power amp and a full range cab. No reason it won't work with a little tweaking. I wish to do this in order to leave my guitar amp at home with my current practice situation.
    I would hope I could add a below $100 effect unit to get what I want.
    Surely there are others here who have done this.

4. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Not for under $100 in my case, but other than that, yeah. I'd look at all the various modeler boxes and decide what makes sense financially and logistically. I've used a VG-8 and an old Boss GX-700. Either works fine for distorted guitar through "hi-fi " cabs with tweeters. In fact, those are the sort of cabs the modelers are built to work with. I generally use a QSC power amp and a mixer (I use a guitar synth and sampler as well), but I've used GK, AI, and EA amps successfully in the past for this as well.

You might also look at tube pedals? I have a Hafler rack tube preamp that does OK, but I prefer it in the EFX loop of the GX-700 rather than as a standalone solution.

And before any purists butt in, I do have an early 80s Fender tube guitar amp that kicks the poop outta any modeler, hands down.;)

Best of luck!