Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass amp used with guitar pre amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by StoutXXX, Jul 30, 2003.

1. I am a bass player which plays guitar for fun which Im sure some of you do to. I was wondering.. If I ran a guitar preamp(rack?mesa) and used the power amp in an SVT3 pro would that fly thru a guitar cab? am I missing a key piece in all of this because it would really open my options to utilize a working power amp.
    P.S Didnt quite know where to place a thread like this.. kinda off topic but not really..

2. telemike

telemike

Jul 7, 2003
    Here's an idea:

If you already have the SVT head and cab jsut use those. Does the SVT have an effects loop? If so, just plug the preamp into that.

I would reccomend a Roland Cube-15 ($99) practice amp since the headphone out into another amp rocks and it has 4 BOSS pedal distortions on it.

3. billys73

billys73

Apr 25, 2003
    I play guitar for fun too.....I used to practice through my bass amps. For me, it became a million times more fun when I finally got a guitar amp for the guitar! The way a good guitar amp (and speakers) responds is so much different than a bass amp. It's more than just the tone shaping in the preamp.

Save your coin for a nice 40 watt all tube combo amp!
    IMHO, you'll be happy you did.

4. thumbtrap

thumbtrap

Jun 26, 2003
    Not only does your average guitar cabinet have a big bump around 100 hz due to divers with a Qts of 1.2 or higher, that Q and the output usually mean things are rather underdamped. When you do play a guitar through a bass amp, it usually sounds cold and lifeless, even for clean stuff - and I think that's a lot of the reason why. With a guitar amp you're mostly just giving suggestions to the speaker about how to change what it's already playing.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    So, if you have a Mesa Boogie rack preamp, and you have a guitar cab, and you just want to use the power amp in option on your SVT3, then yes, this should work. If you wanted to get a dedicated amp for this setup, the Peavey Classic 50/50 actually isn't too bad. Both guitar players in my main band used them for years.

Another trick you may want to try is using the Boogie pre for a dirty channel in your bass rig. I have a stereo pre and amp, and I am considering using a Boogie V-Twin Preamp to power my "dirty" channel (using one side of my PLX 3002 and probably EA VL-208's for cabs). This will be my modified approach to what some guys like Tom Peterson, Doug Pinnick and Chris Squire have been doing.

Later, Tom.

6. I appreciate the info and im glad somebody picked up that I am using just the power amp of a bass rig . Nuthing was said about a bass cab for guitar. I may just have fun on the guitar but i know that wont give me a good dirty guitar tone. And the option for the boogie being a dirty channel on my ampeg is a good idea to. I reallly appreciate the info I just wanted to make sure that the power supply didnt mattter.

7. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I am very interested to hear how this works out, as well as how any experiments that you might do using the Boogie as a dirty channle on the Ampeg go. I am picking up one of my guitar player's preamps this weekend (either a Boogie or Marshall), so I should get to try out my experiment fairly soon.

Take care, Tom.

8. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Sorry to bump this thread, but have you had a chance to try the Mesa V-Twin as your dirty channel pre? I've been looking for a good bass overdrive/distortion effect and I noticed a couple V-Twin rackmount pre's for sale, wondering if I should get one of 'em.

If you've had a chance to try it...can you describe the tone of the dirty channel? Can you get a slower sounding distortion (think a big engine) out of it? Or is it more fuzzy? :D

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Our guitar player wasn't able to yank the V-Twin out of his rack before our last show (Aug 2), but we do have a show coming up Aug 23, and he is supposed to have it for me then.

I think I hear you there. I am going for this type of tone as well. As Timmy C describes it, kind of like a "saw with a couple of teeth missing".

I will report back once that slacker guitar player gets the preamp to me!

Later, Tom.

10. snailplow

snailplow Leon Phelps Wanna Be

Are you not using your Fulltone Bassdrive pedal Tom?

11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I am using the Fulltone Bass-Drive, but I am always checking out my alternatives. The Fulltone is pretty darn good, but I am still not quite where I want my (dirty) tone to be.

I am also having an electrical engineer/musician friend of mine (who makes killer pedals) build me a custom bass distortion pedal, with volume, tone, overdrive/distortion knobs like the Fulltone, but also with a variable crossover (with the effects on the high end only), and a blend knob. Depending how it turns out, this could end up being my holy grail. But until then, I am going to keep experimenting.

Tom.