Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Amp - Vox, Marshall, Laney etc

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by clockworkwar, Mar 20, 2006.

1. clockworkwar

clockworkwar

Mar 20, 2006
    England
    Hi, I am saving up £300 for a bass amp im only 15 so this will be my first bass amp that i could gig with. The Laney R4 looks like a mighty amp for the price, but is it really upto all of the good reviews? Or is there a better amp for around the same price and power output between 150-300w and spec?

I could save some money by buying the Decontinued Vox T-60 and then putting mics on it when needing to play at larger gigs, it seems like it has a nice tone, i can get a cheap price because it went out of production. Or i could even get the Marshall Bass State 65 im am confused by which amp to try, and as my local bass shop only really supplies Kustom amps i cant go and try them out.

I really need some help as its has taken me a while to save up for an amp. Il thank anyone in advance if they help

2. Check out ebay, and watch for a peavey head and cab, can get them fairly cheap :)

(hell, got my 2x15 cab for £75! )

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I thoroughly enjoy my T-60, but would heartilly recommend getting yourself a used Peavey. Nearly indestructable and loud for a good price.

4. clockworkwar

clockworkwar

Mar 20, 2006
    England
    Cool, how loud would you rate the T60?? Im looking at Peaveys now aswell :)

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    clockworkwar, it's not the LOUDEST 60 watts, but I can do an acoustic gig and keep up with two guitarist and a drummer with brushes effortlessly. That's about all I've used it for so far.

6. clockworkwar

clockworkwar

Mar 20, 2006
    England
    I could probably put a mic infront of it and run it through a PA at a large gig?

7. Ashdown 5-15 or even the electric blue one with a 15 inch speaker in it. Or look for a used MAG with the 1x15 in it.

Basic specs:
    5-15: 65 watts into a 15 inch speaker, 3 band eq £140
    Electric Blue: 180 watts into a 15 inch speaker, 5 band eq + DI £210
    MAG: same as Electric blue but 300 watts, and the super cool VU meter + DI £290

Take a look at www.ashdownmusic.co.uk for details about the range. www.soundslive.co.uk has all of them at a reasonable price, and ashdown give super customer service. The bulb in my MAG combo went this week, sent an e mail the next day, e mail back the same day offering me a replacement for free.

8. get the ashdown, the MAG, sounds and looks cool, always some on e-bay, wouldent need to mike up, only at huge venues, and that website www.soundslive.co.uk, is where i got mine, i recoment the 2x10 ashdown mag, worth the money, kills evrything else. also has an xlr out.

9. there is a peavey 2x15 on ebay right now, really nice cabs, and you could probably pick it up really cheap! then just get a matching head and your set ;) (theres also an older firebass head on right now, nice combo!)

10. clayton

clayton

Jun 26, 2005
    I own a Laney R4 combo and IMO it is a pretty good amp for the price. It has excellent volume, tons of low end and the 7-band graphic equalizer allows ytou to fine tune your sound with ease.

The only thing you should know is that it is a transparent amp, meaning that it won't color your tone at all. The sound you get is the sound your bass has, it won't add color as an ampeg would, for example. In my particular case I really like that, but you may need something other.