Bass Amps and Cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bilby, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Bilby

Bilby

Dec 16, 2012
    So I was thinking of expanding my amp I have a GK MB 115 it has a direct output I bought it off a guy and I'm not completely sure what its for I'm sure for anything its for a cabinet, right? and If I do that will sound come from both the MB 115 and the Cabinet just wondering :help: I hope I dont sound like an idiot so if I do please be nice about it.

Thanks,
    Bilby

2. Bilby,

That is a preamp output. That can be used in sound reinforcement like P.A. systems so the engineer can amplify the sound through their speakers. It can also be used for recording. It is not for driving speakers.

3. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Not for driving an external poweramp either. It is a low gain output closer to instrument level.

4. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Roots and fifths and a little extra. Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    This is why so many of us advise people not to buy combo amps unless they're experienced equipment owners who know what they're getting into and what their future needs will be.

5. I always thought combo amps in general were more designed for beginners than experienced users. No 1/4" speaker cable to hook up to the wrong output. Combos are probably what 90% of us started playing on. There are high end combos with full featured pro level connect ability but as a generalization, they're simpler to use for the beginner. IMO

6. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    No doubt they are. But too many of them are not up to the task of keeping up with a loud rock ensemble--which is precisely what a heck of a lot of beginners buy them for. Then they end up sad because they can't be heard and they start exploring options to get a bigger rig only to discover that they basically have to start over. And unload a combo amp that has almost no resale value.

Still, there are experienced players who know what their volume needs truly are and who can intelligently make the tradeoff for portability and convenience.

7. Sad but true. Poor maligned combos. I don't recommend them either and I could probably play 90% of my gigs with that MB115.

Bilby probably got his for a song and has found it isn't quite loud enough for rock'n'roll.

A few months ago GK changed over to maxing out the combo amp with a low impedance speaker, requiring you to buy another powered slave cab to expand. The older ones could take an expansion cab. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. Which one do you have?

8. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Not exactly so. None of their combos could take an expansion cab except the MB210. I owned one and purchased the expansion cab later on. None of their other combos had this feature.

I'm not exactly sure what the benefit is of those powered cabs, though. For the price, you could darned near by yourself a second combo and chain them together, effect out to effect in, amirite?

9. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    There is no effects loop on the MB combos. A splitter box would probably be the best option for that scenario? There is nothing wrong with combo amps....just depends on their fit for the application....same for separates. Bilby, that combo has an amp that is stable down to 4 ohms, and has a 4 ohm speaker. That means the amp can't run another speaker cab (unless you replace the original speaker with an 8 ohm). This actually works, Ive done exactly that, and the volume increase is very apparent. I just happened to get a great deal on a pair of EV speakers, so it made sense to give it a try. I'll probably end up with a separate head and 2 cabs, but what I have is fine for now.

10. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Right you are. My memory isn't what it used to be! :)

11. Bilby

Bilby

Dec 16, 2012
    Thanks Guys So what would you say is a Versatile Amp Head to go with a cabinet an amp head that could like say Church and Rock n Roll

12. Those Fender Rumble heads sound ok, lots of eq and plenty of power for little money.

Anything with 300w or so will make a bass noise. It's a bit like asking what flavour icecream to serve at Grandma's birthday and funeral.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021