Bass amps at Guitar Center

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dustybottoms, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Ampeg is considered "high end"? Since when? :confused:

I must have missed that memo...

MM

2. I don't know, Maybe since they are in the top 5 most expensive brands of any website you look at that sells bass amps? The semantics of "high end" wasn't really the point of the conversation though.

3. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
    I think your right. My wife hit up her favorite market a few towns away yesterday and right down the rd is one of four in our area and I said drop me off so I can grab some strings. She was gonna be gone about 30-40 minutes. I thought cool I can get my strings and goof off for thirty minutes looking at stuff. Nope nothing to look at got my strings and just stood there looking like a creeper for forty five minutes.

Same thing happened back around 05 or so with a store that previously occupied that same space called Mars. Oh well.

4. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    It's the economy. People have less disposable income so they're hanging onto old gear or buying cheaper, class D or used stuff.

:meh:

5. blixild

blixild

Mar 4, 2006
    Buffalo, NY
    A brand new GC opened up about a month ago near me (which really surprised me... we already have one GC in the area that doesn't seem to be doing well. At first I was sure they were just moving the store). This store has a bass "corner" that's even smaller than the sheet music section. There are a handful of Acoustic amps (since they're now a GC house brand) and not much else. Thankfully the other GC in the area has a better (albeit still disappointing) bass department.

Personally, I just monitor the used gear online and only go in if there's something that I want to try out.

6. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I haven't seen anything in a GC that I have lusted for (bass-wise) since I bought my used Lakland there in 2006. They are mostly selling to parents these days.

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Just recently, like in the last couple/few weeks, my drumme went to the local GC. He's wanting new hi-hats and went to see what they had. He has a really good ear, knows quality, etc., and he found a set that he liked. He goes to the sales guy to inquire about the price as he thought it was priced fairly low for the quality or may've been a clearance deal or something.

Sales guy tells him that price was "per each", like that's what it cost for 1/2 a hi-hat. Pretty much tells you all you need to know about GC. What the hell kind of a hi-hat does one cymbal make? :eyebrow:

8. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Last summer, I nabbed a Peavey IPR1600 on blowout at GC for a super low price. That's the last piece of gear that I've bought at a GC. The other day, I basically walked around the store for about 15 minutes and left. Nothing there that interested me. Of course, there was the usual 2 kids wanking away on guitar and one other "mature" guy showing how well he played.

9. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Bassist: "Wow, 7.50 for a set of Rotosounds - that's a great price. Is that a special sale?"
    GC Sales Guy:"No, that's 7.50 per each string!"

10. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I have to agree here for m area as well. Im in the Chicago burbs, southwest, Aurora IL actually, and my GC down the street has DRASTICALLY cut inventory in their bass room. Almost all the Ampeg stacks they had in there previously, and ever since they opened a few years ago, are all gone. Its all combos now. A lot more used basses on the wall, Fenders, a few odds and ends like Ibanez and SUBs. They never had bass pedals really, a BDDI every now and then, but its always just been guitar pedals (their selection isnt bad but it is still only the very popular stuff). I never see anything in there way cool, unless its used and that wont last long usually. Its pretty bland in there, especially in the last month, like I said, their bass room dwindled SO much. May have to start going to Sam Ash again. I never really liked shopping in big name stores anyway. Unless Im forced to.

11. bass4worship

bass4worship Ready For Freddy, let rock Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Sebring, Florida
    Most players are buying direct online and that killing GC and others musician outlet.

12. bobicidal

bobicidal

Mar 28, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    San Jose store just got in several new TC Electronic amps. The little combo I used to test a pedal kicked butt. Can't remember the model or price. Also new I had not seen before was some different Hartke gear, at least one new head and cab I'd not seen in there before. Maybe your store is about to get new stuff like this one? Still lots of options from Markbass, which I never see anyone using, plus Ampeg and of course Peavey combos. Oh and Acoustic. And lots of used stuff. Yeah, good selection but disposable income around here is a little more prevalent (not that I am in that boat!)

13. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    It's not a semantic consideration. It's a classification consideration.

High end would be such brands as Euphonic Audio, TecAmp, Glockenklang, EBS, TC Electronic, Acoustic Image, Thunderfunk, and Epifani - brands that you're unlikely to ever encounter at a Guitar Center...other than the rare occasion when someone drops off a used amp for sale on consignment. :meh:

MM

14. jmela

jmela

Jul 24, 2007
    Perhaps they're realizing that players in the market for hi-end gear were just 'showrooming' at GC and buying elsewhere for any number of reasons.

There's more money to be made by selling a higher number of student instruments than taking up shelf space with expensive instruments/ gear that rarely sell.

15. bnolsen

bnolsen

Jan 30, 2014
    denver area
    Guitar center does guarantee to match internet prices. So for new purchases there's really no good reason *not* to buy there if its in stock.

16. huckleberry1

huckleberry1

Jul 1, 2013
    Mesquite, Texas
    student
    agh, why can't they get a Gibson T-Bird in my G.C.?!

17. headband

headband

Oct 18, 2013
    Lake Havasu City
    I was in the GC Nashville last week and was very surprised. Gone were all the great vintage amps and guitars. While still a big store with a lot of inventory, it wasn't worth the visit.

18. lpbfender

lpbfender Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Stamford CT
    Guitar center has been under the management of Bain capital, mitt Romney's old firm.
    They were nearly bankrupt and their $11million debt to Fender in 2012 was one reason Fender could not issue stock to pare down its $257 million debt from buying competitors ( and subsequently discontinuing brands like Hamer, SWR etc.) .i am sure the analysts at Bain saw large square feet coupled with slow movement fir mid to high priced gear. More beginner stuff that moves and less expensive per square retail foot gear. Good news is the niche market guts who sell and resell gear that survived May do better. GC owns Musicians friend online catalog business but their marketing has diminished too. Bain makes money in convoluted ways including fees derived from managing their own equity holdings like GC. But all electronics big box guys are suffering. Little Tommy or Suzy can't tell the difference on quality or setup, so mom goes to GC. Add soft economy and digital music that is cheap and easy to play and GC will be gone like Best Buy.

19. Helaskold

Helaskold 100% Mediocre

Jul 22, 2012
    Austin, TX
    I'm almost certain that sales guy was me. There's a reason there are 2 separate tags above the sets, one which says "Top" and one which says "Bottom". People mix and match hi-hats all the time, or need to replace a broken one. Why would we force someone to buy a set if they only need one? Haha.

On topic, it's brutal being a bass player and not having any Warwicks to play around with. I wish the bass section was bigger but that's just a pipe dream...

20. catgut

catgut

Jan 15, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    Funny it feels 'Bain-y'. Same wasteland at my downtown GC. 1 Orange AD200, 1 Fender Superbass 100T, 1 Ampeg SVT, new crappy Acoustic stuff. A lame side wall of basses mostly squire and MM SUB's. Then you have the ******** wall of $35,000 64' Jazz basses all way over priced . But really I don't use them for anything but used gear. I have BassNW down the street. They have great selection but sales people who have some crazy stuff come out of their mouths. Depends on the day. You can laugh at them or with them. It might matter how tight their pants are. No one stocks the strings I want so bassstringsonline gets most of my day to day upkeep money.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 27, 2021