Bass amps at Guitar Center

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dustybottoms, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Gizmot

Gizmot

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    I shouldn't complain about the sales help at GC. When I visited them to buy a new amp recently, the salesman told me that the TC amp I was interested in had a high failure rate (which I read about here previously). I really appreciated his honesty

2. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    my gc is very limited. I only go there when im really desperate for strings...

3. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    This is a sad thing? You should be happy that a locally owned music store is a better shopping experience then a huge retail chain. Good local music stores are a rare thing these days. I have nothing against GC. But they have put all but one of the locally owned music stores out of business in my area.

As some of the other posters have mentioned. GC has it's own problem right now. The chain is not profitable and I think they are probably sitting on a lot of stale inventory and I bet they are slow paying their suppliers so nobody will ship them large orders.

Their "Pro" stores or maybe they call them "Gold" stores like Las Vegas and Hollywood seem to be well stocked and have a lot of decent gear.

4. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Bayou City
    Guitar Center is in bad shape. I was in one in Austin about a week ago, and it looked rough. No inventory. Stuff priced to sell. IMO, we are seeing the end of GC.

Will Musicians Friend keep on? Who knows. Maybe. GC also owns Music123,, Harmony Central,, and others. I would guess that if one falls, the others will be sold off.

More interesting may be the connection between GC and Fender. GC accounts for a sixth of all Fender sales. That is crucial to fender. And, the CEO of fender is the former CEO of GC, who sold GC to Bain. Trouble for fender?

5. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Haha.

If that was you, I apologize if I came off as insulting, we thought it was just comical, didn't make any sense, had never heard of such a thing.

He's the type of drummer that can bash like Bonham, yet none of his heads have those little dents in them from the stick tips, never breaks his stuff.. So, he can and does play heavy, but isn't hard on his gear while doing it, would never have a need for a single hat and would probably feel stupid asking about one or expect to pay extra for breaking up a set. The guy's played the same set of old-school quickbeats for 15-20 years and they're still in great shape..

In the end, he ended up getting the hats and I think a crash. As far as I know, seems happy with them.

Anybody thinks good bass gear is expensive.....try being a drummer. ;)

And ya, must be boring being a bass player working at GC. I don't think I'm diplomatic enough to handle that job. I'd probably be running around telling people to stop slapping the basses and shredding on the guitars. :D

6. GC in Madison seems down also. I recently asked whether they would be getting the V-4B in stock and the guy was clueless, e.g. "stock usually comes in on Wednesdays; you could check back and see if we get one in." Do they really have no idea, like stock just shows up out of nowhere?

7. Helaskold

Helaskold 100% Mediocre

Jul 22, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Oh, absolutely not insulting, thanks! It is kind of silly. There are a lot of little nuances there that don't make sense at first and I figured I would clear it up.

It's pretty boring! I sometimes think life would be easier if we had just played guitar instead. Hahaha. Hey, let me know if you ever need to order anything... I'll make you a TB member deal. And I don't work on commission so it's guilt free!

8. BigRedBassPlayer

BigRedBassPlayer Supporting Member

Sad was the wrong word to use. What I meant is as much as I love the small stores, GC should be a standard. And the point of this thread was about how this one store, and more like it around the country, have really dialed back inventory.

9. pica

pica

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    My GC has a "bass corner" too. I stop in there a couple times a month to see if they got in anything new. It's funny. They have exactly the same bass amps in exactly the same spot every time I go in there. It's like they never sell anything.

10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Thanks. Will do. Although all I ever get there has pretty much been strings. Our local craigslist has pretty much been my music store for everything else. :D

I assume it's the Northcross/Anderson ln. store as that's real close to the drummers house. Coukd at least stop in and say hey. My next purchase of any real cost will likely be an octet of 6550 tubes, but that probably won't be for a while yet.

11. gary m

gary m

Jan 17, 2011
    Mid -Atlantic
    And FMIC (Fender) also owns Guild, I believe. Will be an interesting domino effect, I'm afraid. Two respected instrument makers possibly down the tubes along with a few nationwide music retailers? Ouch.

12. pastorjamesc

pastorjamesc Cheap Ability, Expensive Taste Commercial User

Jun 26, 2012
    Waco Texas
    Owner/Operator of Cotten Patch Sound Design. Burns of London Guitars and Basses retail. I do sound design, resetting, and education for churches, organizations, and small venues with no Sound personnel. Studio for "self-produced" rental use.
    I like the new Waco GC. Some good guys there. (Bass guy was asking me questions a few weeks ago, LOL, pretty young but hey he's willing to ask, so good for him.) However, very weak bass corner. Ton of Ibenez low ends and squires. A couple of mid Fenders, and a nice vintage Mustang. Shooting the breeze with the assistant manager and he stated, "yep, got to sell to stock and then they really can only stock what they sell" so they're stuck with the stuff mom and dad will buy. So for the foreseeable future, at least in Waco, they don't have any eye candy. I did however pick up my blacktop P from them used as well as my MarkBass head.

13. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Well, Fender has ruined a number of perfectly good companies in its history; But if GC goes under, FMIC will survive. Folks will still buy guitars/basses. They just won't have to endure GC any longer.

14. tbz

tbz

Jun 28, 2013
    California
    Started a thread on this a month or so ago.

Hit up about 3 GCs in the Los Angeles area (but not the Hollywood store) in a week. Looked like all of them were trying to liquidate everything in the bass room. They didn't have anything non-fender for over $1000 or so. Nothing but Fender, Ibanez and Gibson in the $500 - $1000 range.

Amps were garbage too, a few Ampegs, some MarkBass combos....

Really made me sad; back in the day you could find a good selection of $1000 - $2000 basses at GC....

15. I usually go to the Edina GC, but if there is a better one for Bass - please fill me in! I don't mind driving!

Thanks!

(Edina GC had a pretty cool used MIJ Jaguar Bass on the wall at a good price.... It's now resting comfortably at my place!)

16. BigRedBassPlayer

BigRedBassPlayer Supporting Member

I've been to the one in Richfield, MN I believe. I could be wrong on the town but it's up there in the twin cities. Bought my tuner up there I still use to this day. At the time it was a nice smaller store. I don't know how it is anymore.

17. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I'm in Nashville, too, and I completely agree. They used to have a bass room there, but now it's just a small corner where the guitars are, and the selection is slim to none. They were never good for bass parts, though. Every time I've been there and asked if they had any Fender bass parts other than pickguards, I just got blank stares. Luckily, we have locally owned stores that have a much better selection here.

18. Helaskold

Helaskold 100% Mediocre

Jul 22, 2012
    Austin, TX
    I'm actually at the Round Rock location, but I had that exact same situation within the last couple of weeks so who knows? I will admit that I get most of my stuff on CList and the TB classifieds... haha.

Just let me know! I'll try to make you a killer deal depending on the merch... and that goes for most of y'all. I'm bored at work with plenty of time to give back to TB. Message me about whatever and I'll see what I can do.

19. I work for a local store and even there the bass amp selection is a little bare. I think the problem is that we bassists, including myself, do a lot of online shopping, making bass equipment first in line to get cut during the dry months when sales are down. Just my observation. Most in store bass sales, at least in my area, seem to be to beginners, and very few people come in looking for high end stuff. Just my 2 cents, I'm sure there are local shops in different places that are booming with local bass player traffic, but if even GC is cutting stock to save profit, there has to be something to it.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 22, 2021