Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Amps......Down Sizing Them

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ConeyIslandJoe, Jan 21, 2002.

1. I'm presently playing thru a Road 440 Bass Amp [375 watts RMS ]with 2 large cabinets with an 18" speaker in each cabinet. The sound is earth shaking to say the least. But I'm looking for something smaller, lighter and more portable. The 18's weigh 90 LBS each and the Head weighs in at 35 LBS. and I'm getting tired of moving around this "artillary" from gig to gig.
    A friend of mine who WAS using a Sunn Collisum Top and 2 cabinets with 2-15" speakers in each one recently purchased an Acme Low B-2 cabinet[acmebass.com]and an Eden WT 400 head. VERY VERY PORTABLE!!!and It sounds GOOD [he loaned the set up to me for my last gig] But IMHO it does not have the LOW END the 18's give and I like.
    I was considering a Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-210 or the 1001RB-115 Combo, but I'm still not sure. Another bass player suggested to use 2 Hartke KickBacks. A KickBack 12 and a KickBack 15. He said to run my bass thru the KickBack 12 and use the XLR jack out on it to the input on the KickBack 15, this way the 12 will give you punch and the 15 will give the low end. Any suggestions? Portability is a Priority.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've said it before. Bass notes are BIG notes. BIG notes require BIG equipment. Get a WT-400 and a D-118XL.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    If you're on the tube/rock tip, get an Eden WT400. lightweight @ 15 lbs, chocked full of great tones. If you need something more hifi and uncolored, but great nontheless, then try Euphonic Audio's iAMP 350. its solid state, has that quick attack, but has a more musical and flexible EQ section than the Eden. its also about 18 lbs. Great for both electric bass, and upright work.

if you want more power and got the dough, try the pre/power amp route. it'll cost more, but your tone will stay your tone since you've got the preamp. You just up the power amp needs. Get whatever preamp, Aguilar, Demeter, what have you, and try a Stewart 1.2 World. Occupies 2 rack spaces, 1200 watts, but weighs only 10 lbs! i dont think anyone makes them that light. they also have smaller half rack sized ones that weigh next to nothing, but might not be enough to drive even a 1x12 without clipping.

http://www.nextgener.com/ngm/stewart/stewart.html

Cabs wise, you can go whatever route depending on your needs. but do you really need 18"? guys who play stadiums dont need that speaker. i mean, geez man, what are you doing?

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Wow, do you still have the bellbottoms you wore when you bought that amp? :D

I haven't seen a Road amp for at least 20 years!!

What you are used to hearing is not real low bass but a huge hump near 150-250 Hz that shakes the room.

The Acmes are actually going lower than your 18s but since they don't hype that frequency range it may seem that they are lacking in bottom.

If you seriously want to downsize I would advise trying cabinets out using YOUR bass and the Road head. Pick the cabinet first and then see about updating the head later since the cab(s) will influence the overall sound more than the head will.

Once you choose the cab(s) then start trying different heads with your new cabs. In fact I'd advise gigging for a few weeks with your new cabs BEFORE you go head shopping so you'll have a better feel about what you'll need.

5. Joker, Brianrost;
    Thanks for your suggestions on the amps and cabinets. The Acme did sound GOOD...........Very punchy...............Maybe a 15" cabinet along with the Acme Low B-2 might give me the lows I'm looking for? But your RIGHT!! I've got to take my Bass and Head with me when I go auditioning speaker cabinets. Bag End makes some small cabinets. YEAH!!! I can't think of a better way to spend a day off !!! Thanks

6. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Is 375w underpowering the Low B-2? I know that the spec sheet says 350w RMS on it... But I seem to remember people saying that it was better at 500 to 600w or something? Was that right?

7. Yes Gabu; Your right, thats what the Spec sheet on the Low B2 says. But I'm a lucky guy, I have an old friend who is employed part time at major music retail outlet. He told me to "COME on Down". So I'm going to do just that and spend a few hours !!