Bass Amps not used for Bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Big Benner, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Hey all,

I just had a small bar room gig (300people) that went realllly well. We weren't paid very much so we wanted to rent as little as possible.

Here's what we used - four channel mixer with 3 vocals and a smidgen of SM58 mic'ed up keyboard/organ amp. This only had one output so I sent it to my SWR WM 12 on stage right. It was powering a 12inch 8ohm Yorkville PA cab that was on a stand on stage left. I took a FX send out of the WM12 and sent it to the right side of my SWR SM900 which powered 2 SWR Monitor 12 cabs. I used the left side of the SM 900 for my bass powering my 2x10 & 1x15 Yorkville cabs.

Everything worked and sounded great. I had enough volume for everything even though we steadily got louder and louder as the night went on. I had the mixer on top of my bass rig to adjust and I asked a friend to adjust and keep an eye on the clip led and limiter on the WM 12 (neither went on as I was just below half volume).

Worked out well and all we had to rent was one vocal mic and the one Yorkville PA speaker and stand. $17 for the night.

Love that SWR gear that has that flat frequency response and has all the ins/out that a giging musicians needs.

Really happy and now we know we can do this again and get more gigs.
  2. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Many, many, moons ago a keyboardist plugged my Rick 4001 into his Leslie cabinet......Wow.

It was like a Religious experience!
  3. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    A Rick into a Leslie sounds awesome. If I ever get the Rick I've been wanting I'll be sure to try plugging it into my friends Leslie.
  4. slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    *everything* sounds good through a Leslie :)

I once did a DJ set at a small party where the house system blew, so I ran to my car and grabbed my Eden WT-300 (used it as a power amp) and EA CXL-112. It sounded very "mono" (because it was!) but the EA had a great tone with plenty of tight bass, the mids and highs were better than most PA cabs, and it was all quite loud enough. Woohoo!
  5. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Vintage Fender Bassman...great for leads.
  6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Two guys in my program use bass amps for the guitars.

One uses Tele through a Fender Bassman.

The other uses an Epi SG with PRS pickups into a MusicMan head and an Ampeg cab.
  7. jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    One of the guitarists in my band uses a Fender Bassman 50 watt tube head and 2x15 cab at practice, if I bring my own rig that is.
  8. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Acoustic guitars through a peavey TNT or some other form of a big speaker(s)... its heavenly.
  9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
  10. I once provided a quick-and-dirty disco in a friends party with our bands active floor monitors and my Hartke Kickback. I used the Hartke as a subwoofer, with a Boss EQ doing the job of the crossover. It was no high fidelity, but loud as hell!
  11. My guitar player plugged his bitchin' SG into my SVT once. It stunned everybody. Now he looks at me kinda weird. :eyebrow: