1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass amps that look like guitar amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fendervox, Sep 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. fendervox

fendervox

Jun 7, 2009
    I've recently swapped to bass (picked up an Ernie Ball Sterling I'm pumped about), and in looking for a bass amp, I can't get over my bias towards their lack of aesthetic appeal! I find most bass amps look like tanks. I really appreciate the aesthetic appeal of guitar amps, heads and combos. I like the looks of the Ampeg SVT Classics as I find they look similar to guitar amps, but being new to the scene, I'm wondering if anyone else can recommend a gigable bass amp (combo or head/cab) that resembles the look of a guitar amp.

2. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

What is your budget?

3. The Trace Elliot V-Types and Peavey Tour VB-2 are some that came to my mind quickly.

4. Just grab yourself an Orange :)

YNJynGR.jpg

5. fendervox

fendervox

Jun 7, 2009
    In Canadian dollars, no more than $800 shipped. So that's roughly $600 USD I think. I'm not opposed to used either.

6. fendervox

fendervox

Jun 7, 2009
    I should also say it does not have to be tube. I used to own an SWR 350x I think it was called years ago when I dabbled in bass, and I really liked that. I think it cost me $300. So tube, hybrid or solid state is all ok in my books.

7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    The Fender Bassman TV series.
    2248300000v6_hi-69fe27895a7b16a29d4934c2758b01c9.jpg

8. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Masks, people, masks!
    Song Surgeon slow downer.
  9. fendervox

fendervox

Jun 7, 2009
    Oooh, I like that for a combo style!

eadg98005 and StrangerBasses like this.
  10. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    65-Amps-Apollo-Bass-Amp-2.jpg

11. Xandrell

Xandrell

Aug 23, 2014
    ENGL.jpg

Loring likes this.
  12. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    Masks, people, masks!
    Trace Elliott elf and Revsound 1x10.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    pie_man_25, shadven and jaymelewis like this.
  14. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    Masks, people, masks!
    Which bass amps look like tanks? Current amp trends are to small as possible. See Trace Elliott elf. Cabs, same.

ColdEye likes this.
  15. Canadian you say? Get thee an ol' Traynor!

16. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

yba200-2_lg.png

im].png

17. Have to agree with the Traynor plug. Bang for buck and all.

Marc

LowActionHero likes this.
  18. No no, like this: Traynor_Yba-3.jpg

19. I think I know what you mean about how a lot of bass cabs look, the metal grills and visable speakers, rat fur, and so on. I use ampeg classic cabs. Aguilar and Mesa have some good looking cabs, the new Darkglass cabs look sick imo.

We played a gig with a band who only had orange 412 guitar cabs on the stage. But I could hear bass onstage and talked to the bass player after their set and he literally took a orange 412 guitar cab and put bass speakers in it. avatar speakers makes bass cabs that can be customized you can pick the tolex and grill colors, they even make a 412 straight cab that's similar to a guitar 412 cab except it's ported.

LowActionHero likes this.
  20. New, from the makers of LOG!