Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass amps - tips?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Skavenger, Jul 28, 2002.

1. Skavenger

Skavenger

May 26, 2002
    Sweden
    I don't know a whole lot about bass amps but I've decided my amp is too old and it's time to buy a new one. Now, what features should I look for? I play death/nu metal and I play a brand new Warwick Corvette 5-str. Thanks.

2. A good place to start would be with your current rig. What is it? What do you like about it, and what do you want to improve?

Cheers
    Hamish

3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Are you looking to play out or just recreational?
    If you are playing out, what kind of rooms, sound systems?
    How much do you want to spend (short-term/long term)?

The advice I always give:

Open up to Pre-amp/Power-amp racks.
    Way more flexibility and power for the dollar than combos or standard heads.

Go modular. Flexible configurations. a 210 on a 410, 2x212s, 210 on a 115, 2x115s...you get more options with medium-to-small cabs as opposed to getting 2 810s. You can work your way up to a nice rig over time by planning for and adding another cab. Also, you don't have to buy a truck or van to get to gigs, and you can break down your equipment and load up the car by yourself. Just have in mind what you plan to have when you're done. I started with a 112, added a 115, then a 210. I have just what I need, but if another 210 or 112 fell on my doorstep, I could fit it into my system. I use the 112 for practice/rehearsal, the 210 for small gigs, 210 on 115 for bigger rooms, and add to that the 112 again when the drummer and I need to add a bass monitor.

For the longest time, about 20 years (of mostly acoustic duet, solo, or studio time), I thought going combo was the most convenient choice. I finally saw the light once I started playing live in large rooms in a group.
    I moved on to a Hartke HA3500, but soon also saw the light of being able to pick out a pre that I like and put it on the power amp that I ilke.

My advice, if it helps, is to think long- term. What will you potentiall need eventually?

Good luck!!!

4. Zulu...Forgot a few...BUT, no need to nit-pick.....If you're a 5+ stringer, I'd say go with an 18, I believe the bottom is clearer..and with a small head, you can add a 2x10(I believe Sonic made a 2x10+18 all in one box, for sale on bassNW) But pre/power would be a more flexible way to go....