bass amps ugly?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Harrod, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Harrod

Feb 3, 2004
    has anyone ever notice how all bass amps r ugly compared to guitar amps like the marshal mode 4 i mean do asthetics just go out the window when it comes to bass???
    or is it just me?
  2. ostrzoskrzydly

Jul 1, 2003
    I think guitar amps are ugly. They don't have enough metal and are not shiny enough...
  3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    no offense, but the Marshall Mode 4 is pretty ugly to me.

but yea, i dig what you're saying. still, maybe its just cause there are WAY more guitar products than bass products.

take a look at Epifani, Bergantino, Eden, and especially Aguilar gear which IMHO looks very refined, tasteful, and totally cool. :cool:
  4. Man, bass amps are SO much cooler than guitar amps.
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

They're just boxes that amplify sound - visual concepts like beauty or ugliness are entirely inappropriate - it's how it sounds!! :meh:
  6. icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    I'm ok with you
    It's just a question of taste.
    I thing that Trace Elliot are the ugliest bass amp on earth. And i think that the mode 4 is very good looking, My guitarist has one.
  7. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada

I think this is the answer to everything..... MORE CHROME!!!!

Hell yeah!
  8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

One of the guitarists I play with uses Marshall, but he's always been jealous of my rack full of blinky LED's!
  9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im so sorry!

How the heck do you deal with a Mode 4?

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Bruce, Im starting to wonder if you read these boards by braile.

First there was that picture of a woman playing an upright bass over her shoulder and behind her head and you commented on how that was boring or something.

Then you argue for leaving the attachment limit small because we dont need to see every bass.

And now, you dont think the visial apeal of equipment is relevant!

Common, fess up..... you're blind, right? ;)

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well - I think the world as a whole is too visually-focused and one of the reasons I like playing and listening to music is as an antidote to this - it's disappointing to come to a music site therefore and find that people are just as obsessed here!! :meh:
  12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    But if you find two things that are apealing to you sound wise, why cant you let looks come into play?

I didnt pick my Eden Navigator for its looks, or the Sansamp RBI, but that doesnt mean I cant look at an Ashdown RPM-1 and think it looks incredibly sharp.

If someone can sound good, and look good on stage, then Id rather see them than the guys who only have part of their show down.

13. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Yea Harrod,

I think it must be you, because I think Guitar amps are ugly.
  14. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
  15. Gsxtasy99

Jul 10, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Wow, i didn't realize the ashdown was so attractive. Kinda makes my Alembic F1-x look shabby. I'm pretty sure my alembic sounds good though.
  16. A lot of guitar amps look like something that came from outer space. I saw one not long ago that had cold cathode blue lights behind the front grille for no other purpose than having weird blue lights. Frankly I would be embarrassed to play something like that at a serious gig. Bruce is right about everyone being too visually focused. That's the reason I wouldn't want some weird looking guitar or amp, I'd be concerned that people would be focusing on that moreso than the music.
  17. my first reaction to the mode four is that it is pretty sweet looking. but my problem with the guitar market in general is that everything has to be in a wood case. i like a nice rackmount head.

in fact, if you don't think this is pretty, then you're not into understated, classy looking shiny things:

18. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The only aesthetic appeal I worry about is how they sound. To me, they're all just "tools"..........however, a handsome bass is a nice thing to have and some in the audience may notice the bass, too.

Good bass amps are expensive enough without bringing designers into the cost!

And, who really notices the visual appeal of amps??? To me, it's like having chrome headers in your car's one cares except for gearheads when you lift up the hood...("bonnet" for our UK brethren).

Bottomline - "sound" signs a bassist's paycheck.
  19. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    I take strong issue with the idea that because an amplifier's main purpose is to amplify sound that this is somehow license to avoid aesthetic consideration. While there is a school of thought that places the utility of an object as the primary basis on which that object should be judged, and while I don't disagree with that as a valid school of thought, there is always the problem of what logicians refer to as the Fallacy of the Excluded Middle, or, in this case, why can't an amplifier, speaker cabinet, random obect of your choosing, etc. combine both the highest possible efficacy with regard to it's primary task and, as a secondary consideration, reflect the same care in it's aesthetic design within the parameters allowable without comprimising the primary function?

In other words, sure, the number one requirement for a bass amp should be that it sounds good, and at no point in time should an amp's looks win out over it's ability to fulfil it's primary task, but there is, to my mind, no reason why one shouldn't also devote time and effort to the aesthetic design of the housing. This, to me, is just the final step in a process of attention to detail.

I don't argue that the world is very visually focused. As the most immediate vehicle for sensory perception, the visual is naturally going to be the most exploited media. However, I need only take a quick jog down the hallway from my office here at work to note such eyesores as a drop ceiling, flourescent lighting, and a singular failure to observe basic principals of coordination between all elements.

I would argue that the issue is not in that we are overly visually focused, for again, that strikes me as an unavoidable aspect of everyday life, but rather in that we are not concerned enough with the visual cacaphony that results from failing to observe basic principles of design and aesthetics.