1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Amps with XLR line outs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jackajesusfreak, Apr 15, 2010.

1. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Mar 5, 2009
    I was curious why none of the smaller amps 50-100 watts come with xlr line outs? If they did, I'd definitely scoop one up to keep at the sanctuary I play at on Tuesdays using it only for a monitor.
    Input?

Jack

2. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Some do, like my Roland Cube 100 and the Hartke A70, and I'm sure a few others are out there. I agree it should be more common on smaller amps, but you could just get a cheap direct box instead. That might be cheaper than moving up to combos as expensive as the Roland and Hartke.

3. PaulNYC

PaulNYC

Apr 2, 2009
    New York, NY
    i got paid for a gig once.
    Line6 studio 110

4. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Mar 5, 2009
    Wouldn't still need at least a 1/4" line out? Most amps don't have line outs do they?

5. joeyjoejoe

joeyjoejoe

Apr 12, 2010
    most amps have a line out as far as i've seen, but you can plug your bass straight in to a di box, then out to the amp/board.
    if you get something like the mxr bass di+, you can get some EQ'ing along with some overdrive.

6. +1
    DI. A little DI then into the amp. Done!

7. Tom Domino

Tom Domino

Jul 27, 2008
    Earth
    The recent Fender Bassman (60, 150, etc.) series have them and not only do the amps sound quite nice for their size, the balanced line outs are nice and clean. I've used a 150 as a preamp of sorts and run the signal to all kinds of gear on a number of occasions with great results. My 150 had a glitch in the power switch that required a warranty repair but has otherwise been a great little amp in a variety of environments.

8. I don't think I've ever played on an amp that didn't have at least a 1/4 inch line out... I figured anything that didn't at least have that isn't worth using.

9. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

It costs more money to build an amp with a DI output. So they leave it out to keep the price down.

10. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yup, it's a cost issue. Plus, most small amps aren't really cut out to perform live, anyway.

11. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Two reasons:

1: Small bass amps tend to be cheap amps and the circuitry that mates into FOH systems can get pretty complex -- look at an upscale amp, which may have pre/post, groundlift, attenuation, etc. aside from just the XLR out.

2: Small amps tend not to be used onstage anyway, so makers figure even a simple XLR is wasted money.

Even a nice and not-cheap 100W Ampeg B-100R lacks an XLR out.

Get up over 250W and the XLR is more likely to be found in back.

12. My latest-model (and apparently just discontinued) Fender Bassman 100 has an XLR line out, right in front. 26 pounds and 100 watts. Only issue is that it has only one 10-inch speaker for on-board output.

Roger

13. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    The amps you have been looking at are probably intended for practice use. IME above the entry-level price point, it gets to be pretty hard to find an amp that doesn't have an XLR out.

You can always get a separate DI - that way you can get your signal out to the house and use any amp you like.

14. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Mar 5, 2009
    So most bass amps have a designated 1/4" 'line out'? Could one use a direct box on the 1/4" head phone jack to the PA system?

15. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    All the Genz Benz heads have a (pretty nice, too) DI out with pre/post, line/mic, and ground/lift switches.

The little Shuttle 3.0-10T combo would be perfect for what the OP is talking about.

16. My Fender Bassman TV Ten has it. And it is 150 watts.

17. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Demons run when a good man goes to war

Jan 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Commercial FREE!
    My 50 watt Peavey MINX 110 with Sheffield/Eminence 4 ohm 10" speaker plus BDDI to handle my DI. Everything fits in the tiny trunk of my Chevy Cavalier!

X8

Attached Files:

18. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

It's not a good idea to use the headphone jack with a DI, because the level will be much higher than line level. That could overload the DI (causing distortion) or be a problem for the PA board.

Line out may be OK, but it may still overload the DI---most DIs expect a much lower instrument level.