Bass Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tom Vartuli, Nov 27, 2000.

1. Tom Vartuli

Tom Vartuli

Sep 3, 2000
    Looking for a good, but inexpensive bass amp for gigs, like at dances, parties and bars. Any suggestions?
  2. Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Welcome abroad Tom,

First I would like to thank and congratulate you for filling out your profile…Not everyone does it, but it helps a lot.

Folks here will have varying opinions about this but I will take a stab at getting you started. Because of inefficiency in amplifying lower frequencies, you will need several times what your guitar players are using to keep up… Thems the breaks.

What it all comes down to is what you like to hear. To that end you need to get out and try as many rigs as you can, with your bass. Newer used equipment may be you your best value.

This week I am partial to the Gallien Krueger 2x10 rigs.

Other brands to check out.
    Trace Eliot
    They all have web sites.

A lot depends on what kind of deals and support available in your hometown.

This question has been broached here before so you might want to try a search to see what other threads have yielded.

Good luck.
  3. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Tom: I see by your profile (good man for filling it out), that you're currently using a Peavey amp. You might consider upgrading to one of their larger models. The Combo 115 and the Combo 210TX will give you plenty of juice for the gigs you described, and will allow you to add an additional cab if you want even more power. They sound good too, are plentiful in the used market, and are priced right.

Long Lake -- that's up in the Adirondacks, right?

[Edited by jcadmus on 11-27-2000 at 04:27 PM]
  4. I dig the Peavey 1-15 combo amps, TKO TNT. Heavy, but a lot of sound for cheap.

5. I'm gonna jump on the bandwagon, and add a twist, i say USED peavey. that stuff it butt cheep. seriously, you could get a very powerful rig for harly any money if you go used peavey. you never stated what kind of cash you wnat to put into it. cause if you got the cash to spend, and you wanna make this the last rig you'll probly ever have to buy, i'd recomend somthing like Eden cause that will definatly last you longer (IMO) but will cost you much more.
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

As a rule of thumb, you will need 3 - 4 times the amount of power that your guitarist uses. Without knowing what kind of power he/she has, it is a little difficult, but here are a few recommendations.

The best value is in used equipment, here is what is out there new and used.

Starting in the $500 - $600 range, you have the Ampeg BA115 or B100, these are supposedly VERY loud for 100 watt amps(I have demo'd these a few times, but Mar's will not let me crank them loud enough to tell for sure;)), and if you like the gritty Ampeg tone, they do a pretty good imitation of it.

Then you have the Peavey TNT 115, 130 watts, very loud, VERY heavy, the flat sound is a little lacking IMHO, if you get another Peavey, be prepared to mess with the EQ quite a bit until you find the sound you like, and OH - BTW - if you pick a Peavey, make sure that you get a Black Widow speaker, IMHO their other 15" speakers are junk.

And finally, the SWR Workingman's 15. Claims 160 watts, not as loud as the Peavey(IME) or the Ampeg(so I've heard many times). The SWR does a fairly good imitation of the trademark clean SWR sound and has the added flexibility of adding an extension cabinet.

I know you said 'fairly inexpensive', but I don't know if you mean under $500 or under $1500.

For more money, you can either look at heads, such as the Ampeg B5R(350 watts@4 ohms, $800), the SWR Bass 350(350 watts@4 ohms, $699), the Eden WT300(300 watts@4ohms, $829) or the Peavey Firebass 700(475 watts@4ohms, $550), and up from there, the sky is pretty much the limit.

Or, if you want a really loud combo, there is the Peavey Combo 115(15" BW speaker, 210 watts, around $800), the Fender Bassman 400 combo(2x10 + horn, 350 watts, around $900), the SWR Super Redhead combo(2x10+ horn, 350 watts, around $1400), and my personal favorite and most likely next purchase the insanely loud Eden Metro(400 watts, 2x10 + horn, around $1200, puts out 630 watts with a 4 ohm extension cab!)

There are lots of choices out there, and I have left out some of the less popular choices such as Crate, Yorkville, the SWR Workingman's heads, the Eden Nemesis series, GK, Trace, etc, all decent amps and loved by some if not most.

Of course, if you decide on a head, then we need a whole new thread to help you pick out a cab or cabs for it! :D

Welcome to the board, Tom, thanks for filling your profile out, good luck in your search, and most of all, get an amp that YOU like the sound, features and price of.

After all, it's YOU who will have to live with that decision, not us.

Oh, one more thing(Man, I'm long winded tonight!;)) - make sure that you play as many different amps as possible, and take YOUR bass with you on the journey. An amp will sound way different with a $3000 bass than it will with a $300 one.

[Edited by embellisher on 11-27-2000 at 08:12 PM]
  7. I enjoy peavey. Right now I have a peavey combo 115. I think that I paid a bit much for it new ($585)but I think That it was worth it. The only things that I wish it would of had would be a balanced out (like they have on the new model) and maybe add a midrange on the "shelving". The single 15 was loud at 210 watts, but it wasn't quite loud enough for me. So I went out and got a steal at a clearance center on a brand new ampeg bse410hlf. It is a great cab, and it added some punch to my setup. It has all the specs as the svt one, but I only paid $420 for it brand new with 2 bent corners. Now I am pushing 300 watts, and silence my brother when he plays the drums. I have seen the new peavey heads and they seem to be a good deal. I have thought about trading my combo and getting the nitrobass head, which is 450 watts at 2 ohms, and 300 at 4 ohms. The price I was quoted was about 370 dollars, which is pretty good. It has a balanced out and a 3 band active eq. I think it had shiftable mids too. For the buck, I think that Peavey is a good deal.