Bass and amp EQ settings, Help, Help!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Obsolex, Feb 2, 2003.

1. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Ok, i have an SWR LA-15 amp, and an Ibanez Soundgear 3005 bass, and both of them each have a 3 band eq. The eq on my bass is always up on each knob to the fullest. But I have always had trouble with my amp settings, treble, bass, mid... If anyone else has one, or knows what i should put them to (low, middle, full (as in knobs)) please tell me please!!
  2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    uh,,,,you put them any way you want. Turn knobs and fool around with the tone until you like it..... there is no "way" to set the knobs,,,, you just pick a tone you like.....
  3. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    i know theres no exact way. but i want to make it so that when i play with my fingers, and then slap, it wont sound so different. like it will blend.:D :p
  4. Why do you have your EQ settings turned all the way up? That's like setting them flat and turning the volume way up.

If you want a sound that's good for slap and fingerstyle, I guess you could cut or boost the mid setting to your liking and leave the bass and treble flat.

On your amp, just leave things flat until you get a good sound from your bass, then fiddle around with the knobs on the amp in SMALL incriments. You don't have to turn a knob too far to get a different tone.

Also, reading the instruction manuals might help.
  5. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    thanks i'll try that, anyone else have any suggestions??
  6. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I agree with the "start flat" theory. Set everything flat and just tweak it as you go. Every guitar has a "sweet spot" and it's up to you to find it. And John K. is right, turning all your EQ up sounds the same as "flat" only louder.

EQ is ver powerful once you get the hang of it, so keep at it.

Oh and as for the slap thing, I have a seperate EQ pedal which is set for my slapping. I turn the pedal off whan I'm "fingering" (how rude) and I turn it on when I slap.
  7. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I agree with John K and Petebass that you should start with everything flat. Then you could start to turn one knob after the other fully up and down to see what each knob does to your sound. Now go back to flat and start experimenting with small steps.

It's also true that there are no right or wrong settings, but extreme settings often do sound unnatural or weird.

However I do not agree that turning up all EQ-bands is the same as turning up volume:

Turning up the volume means boosting all frequencies equally.
    But turning up the EQ-bands will give you a 'hump' at the respective center-frequencies. This becomes very clear when you think of a 2-band EQ, but the same is true for EQ's with 3, 10 or even more bands (this is called 'comb filter effect')

PS: I use the EQ on my bass to dial in "my" sound (or to get different sounds for different playing or music styles). With the EQ on the amp I "fatten up" the sound a bit and I adapt to different room acoutics.