Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass and college space

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bob Clayton, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i'm going to be a freshman this year at college and i'll be living in the dorms.

any tips from you guys who have already been there? what to bring, what not to bring?
    that type of thing?

thanks

2. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I'll let you know what i'm planning on bringing [i'm in nearly the same if not the same boat as you].

DB, 3 electrics-Ray5, both SX 5s [one is fretted, one is fretless], small tool set for basses/the dorm, and then an SWR WM12.

Reasons for the 3 basses-Ray5 is my main bass, i wanted to bring a Fretless just in case, and i wanted to have an in case crap happens/beat around bass.

If i wasn't a jazz major-i probably would have gotten a smaller amp or even a headphone amp.

I'm hoping that i'll be able to fit some of the gear under my bed [am getting the risers].

Another thing that may or may not matter to you-i've gone to the all gig bag route. I've got a Mooradian Double Gig Bag and another backpack style single gig bag that i got w/my first bass [forget the brand]. I'm thinking about picking up an SKB Bass Vault [after i see if the double bag will fit] so that i have some sort of hardshell available.

I'm anxious to hear what the others have to say.

That's all

3. Hey, Im going into my third year of school, so I'll offer what I can.

My first year I brought my only bass and a small practice amp, the bass was in a hardshell and as lazy as it sounds, having your bass in the cass as opposed to on a stand makes playing more of a hassle, in that you can't just grab a bass and play.

Second year I had a fretted and fretless, both in a double gig bag, but I played almost exclusively fretless, so it ended up sitting on my (elevated) bed for easy access.

This year my stand is coming with me as I'll be living in an on campus apartment and will have my own room to set up my stuff. Be very aware of just how small your room will likely be, not to mention that you'll be sharing it. Obviously if you plan on gigging a lot you'll need your combo/head and cab, but if not see if other arrangments can be made because that will take up room space you simply won't have, as well as being impractical for bedroom practice, and a pain in the butt to get into the car and up to school with you.

besides that I got a nice padlock and locked cases and gigbags to large unmoveable objects, just incase.

4. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    When I was at UMASS, I brought only one bass and one amp. I didn't have much more room to safely store my gear.

5. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    Don't bring: anything you wouldn't want someone else to touch or mess with. I'd bring the sx's, leave the 'ray. how far from home are you going?

6. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i'll be going about 40 minutes away

i have 2 basses, a fender deluxe p, and a crate starter bass

2 amps. ampeg 50wt BA112 combo amp. hartke 200wt head/4x10 cab

7. I'd bring either bass or both, and i'd only take the combo amp for now...at 40 miles away, you aren't far from home that you can pick it up if you need it...unless you are in a band in your college town, then take the 4x10 with you...but just store it in your dorm

8. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    I brought my bass, my fretless SX, and my guitar. I didnt bring my upright. I have a preamp to plug into my computer to play through, so I didn't bring a combo amp. Theres practice rooms on every floor and all my ensemble rooms have adequate amps. I'm at berklee though :).

9. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Hey man, here's what I had in my dorm my freshmen year:
    3 way stand with: Washburn XB125, OLP MM2, ESP M-IV and Spector NS2000/5 (only had all four at one point for roughly three months), a four space rack, a 1x15 cab. I could've also taken a 2x10 or somthing similar, had I had one. This all fit rather nicely and our dorms were of average size I'd say (I don't know dimensions, but take 3 steps one way, and 5 or 6 the other). So, hope that helped somehow :p.

-Ray

10. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    will 50 watts be too much for a dorm? should i invest in a smaller practice amp?

11. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Only if your amp doesn't have a volume knob.

You may want to invest in headphones, you will probably find that your dorm, if it allows amps at all, will have restricted hours you can use them. Headphones are a good way around this.

Since you are only 40 minutes from home I'd say bring nothing but your LEAST favorite bass, a pair of good headphones and a practice amp with phone output.

Your bass WILL get knocked over, it WILL get touched by other people, it WILL get mistreated in probably every way immaginable and a few you can't imagine. Don't bring anything nice to college if you can help it. You live close enough that driving home on a weekend to play with your nice stuff is a feasible option.

12. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Not at all. For the first couple of months I was 200W, then I went to 550W. Just don't be blasting it and you'll be fine.

-Ray

13. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    I disagree with this entire statement, entirely. I had all that gear that I mentioned in my dorm room, and none of it ever got a finger laid on it without permission by anyone but myself. I know this because I always keep my gear in a certain place, set a certain way, instruments always wiped down, my amp was always put away a certain way, and I always turned the volume down, gain down, and unplugged the cable when I was done. These aren't things someone else would've done, so I know my gear was not handeled. If you don't want it touched, just make it damn clear that there will be consequences if it is, and if needbe, keep it locked. Moreso, keep your door locked when you're out of the room, and make sure your roomate does the same.
    It's all in prevention. If you do a good enough job with that, you don't have a single worry really.

-Ray

14. yes...if you keep your bass out and have a lot of people in your room, it probably will be handled. i kept mine in my closet, and nobody saw it or played it without me knowing about it.

15. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Mine were all sitting on the three way stand right next to my desk, or leaning against the wall next to my bed. I'm just an ass, and made it very clear that no one should touch my stuff :D.

-Ray

16. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA

I'm going to school for jazz-so i need/want to bring my "good" gear. :)

17. also keep in mind that probably 99% of all schools with a music dept. has an instrument storage room. they will let you put your good gear in there, where nobody can get to it, and put your knockaround gear in the dormroom if you need your good gear with you. or spend a year in the dorms with your bad gear and get an apartment your sophmore year...then you can have whatever gear you want!

18. I'm bringing a bass and a 25w fender bassman with a headphone out jack. If I get into a band and we start gigging, then i'll bring the big rig up. I would NOT start off with a big rig. I am bringing a nice bass though, either my flea or a warwick thumb or quantum. One of those is coming. Last year, not a single person touched my bass without me knowing. Keep it in a hardcase, locked, and if you're going away for more then one day, lock it to something in your closet that can't move. Do'nt tell people what it's worth, they won'tknow either way. Don't brag about it, just do your thing quietly and you won't have ANY issues. A bass is not an easy thing to steal when almost every student has a 400 dollar ipod or 2500 dollar laptop that is much easier to get away with and alot easier to sell. I don't think bass theft is common.

19. I am definitely glad that I am commuting to college this year.

20. Last year I went with my small hartke kickback, and by second semester, had my rack and 210 up there. This semester I'm a visiting student at American, so I'll be unracking my AG500 and buying an Aggie 112- nice and small setup to bring with me. And I'll let anyone that gets near my stuff that touching it is the quick way to a slow, painful death. Worked last year.