Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass and discman into headphones- how?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by AJClone, Feb 12, 2004.

1. AJClone

AJClone

Mar 11, 2002
    Iowa
    I'd like to have a portable setup where I can plug a discman into some sort of personal bass/headphone amp to be able to quietly practice (mobile). Is there some sort of box that is useful for this? My amp will let me plug a discman into it but I want something very portable (stompbox size) that I could mix the bass sound with the discman sound.

Thanks for any help.
    AJ

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Try one of these:

Cafe Walter Headphone Amp

I got one shipped down to Australia and they are amazing. I persoanlly dont think that any bass player should be without one.

If you want more EQ available, get the Raven Labs PHA-1 which is also very good, but more expensive.

3. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    +1. I use mine all the time.

4. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    You wanna a heaphone amp. Lemme see....

Korg Pandora PX4B - pricey but lots of bells n whistles
    Pocket Rockit STD bass - cheaper but kinda noisy
    Rockman Bass Ace ???
    Bass Pod?

Something like that. I recommend the Pandora if you got the bucks.

5. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    From what I have heard, all of those sacrifice fidelity and clarity for bells and wistles.

If the purpose of purchase is only to hear the bass and mix in an auxillery source, you cant go past the Cafe Walter - however if you want to double it as a great preamp, ive heard nothing but praise for the PHA-1.

My experience is that the "multieffects" style products just add a generally unpleasant colour to your sound. YMMV

6. AJClone

AJClone

Mar 11, 2002
    Iowa
    As always, thanks for the input. I'd forgotten about the Raven labs box. I'll get to reading now.

AJ