Bass and Drums songs?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Dave Castelo, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    hey, Dave here...

just to ask you about Bass and Drums songs (not to be confused with Drum N Bass electronica)

well, songs that only use drums and bass (any little or no guitar)... instrumental *preffered* or not...

kinda like "The Awakening" by Les Claypool (working on it) and YYZ (im playing it now, just need some more practice... oh ok, this one has guitar but still its a cool instrumental).

im asking because i want to do nice bass music with my drummer, he's already a great musician and believe me it doesn't matter how difficult the drums are in the songs you mention, HE will play them! :eek:

so any other songs of this format that you know? *any Genre* (for 4 stringer)
  2. You could take a crack at Victor Wooten's "can't hold no groove if you ain't got no pocket". On the "live at bass day" video he uses a drummer and the song is really not as difficult as it sounds. You can get a good transcription of it at
  3. I just listened to "Sex Mad" by NOMEANSNO that sounded pretty good. Although I don't know if thats the kind of thing your looking for it sounded pretty good to me, and I'm not that into punk.
  4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    How 'bout a whole album with two "heavyweights"?
    New World Pygmies-William Parker & Hamid Drake.
    (BTW, Parker plays URB bass; personally, these sorta improvised grooves are what I'm tryin' to attain on the electric bass).

Then there's the William Calhoun & Doug Wimbish project called Jungle Funk(there's also a vocalist involved...I have this album & really, it didn't totally float my boat).
  5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    hey thanks i dig it... another excuse to use my effects unit :D

oh ill try if i can find your bands Jim K (no luck so far :( )
  6. Thank Mike Watt , he mentioned it in a thread.
  7. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    i just listened to some John Paul Jones songs off the Zooma Album... that pretty much what i want to do! :)

pretty cool songs there, i recommend it to anyone
  8. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    stuff by jaco or dann glenn
  9. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000

which dann glenn songs should i listen?
  10. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    DOH! My bad-
    The Hamid Drake/William Parker disc is called Piercing The & that links over to
    I'm assuming it's available(BTW, the New World Pygmies' disc is Parker with saxophonist Jemeel Moondoc).
  11. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    if you're up to the task you could take pretty much any song and arrange it for just bass and drums. In the "making music" video with carter beauford and vic wooten at the end they play "#41" by DMB, and vic covers all the parts by himself. I also remember watching a Stu Hamm video where he played Madonna's like a virgin that sounded pretty good.
  12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Pretty much any Rush stuff from the Permanent Waves through Signals period will work. Some of the better ones are Red Barchetta, Tom Sawyer, Freewill and New World Man.