Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass and instruction for newbie

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by elvinstheman, Jun 16, 2005.

1. elvinstheman

elvinstheman

Jun 16, 2005
    Seattle, USA
    Hi,

I'm mainly a drummer but have played bass guitar for over 20 years, some of that time professionally. However, I'm totally new to double basses and have only played them a few times. What are some good basses for a beginner who will mostly be playing jazz and an amateur level? Are those really cheap ones on eBay worth considering? I would be interested in one that's as affordable as possible and is fairly durable.

Also, any recommended books for DB beginners interested in playing jazz? (I don't know the positions or anything and can just barely read music for bass guitar.)

Thanks a lot.

2. ispider6

ispider6

Jan 30, 2005
    Check out the newbie links in this forum regarding your questions about entry-level instruments. Your questions are sure to be covered there.

3. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Hi Elvis's Big Fan,

First, welcome to TBDB!

Second, if anybody mutilates your name like I just did, it's a sign of comraderie.

Third, filling in your profile completely helps, esp. location and your real name. "Real name" posts carry a bit more weight here, it's like a big happy family. Location helps us to point you to reputable shops and teachers.

Starting price on a beginner bass: There are a number of beginner basses to consider, and a number to avoid *cough ebay cough*. Your best bet is to check out the "newbie links" that are stickied to the top of this forum, they will answer most of your questions. Feel free to ask anything that doesn't get answered there. Play lots of basses, don't rush.

By all means get a teacher to get you started on good technique, it will pay long range dividends.

Good luck!
    Fellow drummer John

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    What spider said. But in answer to your question about Chinese e-bay Bass Shaped Objetcs, NO.

Unless you can find a deal on Kay or American Standard (or whatever) that somebody's grandfather had in their attic, you can get a good, solid bass that will hold its value for $1500-1800. If you buy from a luthier, that includes set up.

If yer serious about it, get a teacher. If yer not, why even bother with books, just get some records and start playing along with them.

5. joe_sorren

joe_sorren

Apr 7, 2005
    arizona
    Elvin Jones! I couldn't agree more! RIP...

6. elvinstheman

elvinstheman

Jun 16, 2005
    Seattle, USA
    You got it Joe - you're the man!

Does anyone have any links to sites that show you the basics of how to play jazz DB? I'm not sure my right hand is even in the right place.

By the way, I started renting-to-own and 7/8 Christopher today! I'm totally stoked! A vintage Gretsch jazz drum set and a double bass in the same week! I'm on a roll....that I can't afford to stay on.