1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass and MIDI foot pedal at the same time

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by JES, Dec 22, 2016.

1. JES

JES Supporting Member

Greetings.

I've been searching around for tutorials and the like and not finding much. I'm just wondering how practical it is to play bass with my hands and a MIDI foot controller with my feet to control a synth at the same time. Or if there are other alternatives (besides bass to MIDI which never works that well, at least not for me). I'm posting here because I'm more interested in actual technique than specific gear.

2. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

Practice. It's not really that common, so it's not surprising there aren't tutorials.

Organists use their hands and play pedals with their feet all the time.

3. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    I do this occasionally, when I'm laying a texture beneath the whole song. For me, the key is knowing the tune up one side and down the other, and keeping the footwork simple...because nothing is worse then losing my balance and stumbling around.

JES likes this.
  4. lfmn16

lfmn16 SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I've been using the Keith McMillen Instruments 12 Step which is good if you don't need quick changes and precision footwork. I've ordered a Studiologic MP-117, which I'm hoping will be better, although I'll probably wind up using them both. I've also got multiple keyboards so sometimes I just play the bass with my left hand on a Novation UltraNova or Yamaha MOX6.

Beware this rabbit hole! I started a couple of years ago playing one song, "Bad Company" on an old Korg I had laying around, now I've got three keyboards and most of our newer material is very keyboard heavy. I spend most of my practice time on keyboards, not that I'm complaining.