Bass and Saxophone: what a combo!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by A Rock, Aug 24, 2001.

1. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    hey how many bassists also play a sax?

Props to fellow bassists and saxophonists everywhere!!!:)
  2. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I do (get my tenor's neck back from the shop with new cork Saturday), although not at the same time ;)

I'd love to have a bari someday (kind of the merging of sax & bass with those beatiful low notes) but don't know if I'll ever be ready to pay for it (bass sax is beyond my range of experience - never played one and don't know if I'd want to).
  3. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Me! :) There's nothing like good sax!

I play alto and tenor sax. In fact, I almost bought a Temy 14k gold-plated custom sax over the phone from a live auction yesterday for a really good price, but changed my mind in the end because I wanted to focus on my bass playing.
  4. I used to play clarinet, does that count? :D
  5. spyde223

Apr 11, 2000
    Dumas, Texas
    I play tenor in my school band. It's just an incredibly fun instrument to play.

craig, bari is fun as hell and really not that hard.
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I can't play sax, but it is one of my favorite instruments. Most expressive instrument there is, IMHO, except for the human voice.
  7. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I'm another one. Saxophone was my primary instrument for years, and bass was second. I made a conscious decision in 1997 to let bass take first place: I love playing bass, and there are already a lot of monster sax players out there.

I currently play tenor and alto in a university band for the fun of it. Most sax players, like us bassists, are very nice people.

- Mike
  8. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Yep, the first sax I ever played was the school's bari in junior high (switched from clarinet to something "more manly" with a lot less competition). I also got to play a bari my college had (a nice older Selmer - maybe a mark VI) for the fun (non-serious) jazz band for a while. I talked my parents into splitting a tenor with me in high school and that student model sax has been my constant musical companion since - playing Chuck Berry, Supertramp and CCR in a band in Oregon (where I split time between sax and bass and got started down the bass route), playing Dead, Allmans and other stuff in Atlanta (neither guitar player wanted to work out leads so I did 'em all - although I found picking out the line for the Allmans Southbound was easier to do on guitar and then translate). It's just that with even a student model bari running a couple of thousand bucks I won't be getting one any time soon - it would be as much as I have invested in bass gear with several basses, a combo and a head/cab.

I even had an old silver plated Beuscher soprano for a while but sold it to get my first bass (a total POS) and a 4-track. Now I've had umpteen different basses and but only ever the one tenor (why no sax gas? they cost too much and I don't play enough).

Now I need to get my band to do a couple of sax tunes. I think we'll do Louie, Louie at the coffeehouse in October. The only problem is when I play sax I have to let someone else (a guitar player) play bass.
  9. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    I play an Alto Sax.
    it's a Jupiter which is a koran brand, nothing fancy here.
    I have a Yanagisawa no.5 mouthpiece on it.

I had it since I started playing sax 8 years ago (on and off. 3-4 years since I started again).
  10. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    awesome guys....ive played for 9 yr...i tried the soprano, alto, tenor, and bari.

i love playin charlie parker!

i just sold my silver plated yanigisawa alto so i could by a SWR golliath and SWR bass750:)
  11. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I played alto from 5th grade thru my junior year in high school. that was exactly 113 years ago :D
  12. anon5458975

Apr 5, 2001
    I wish that I could play tenor sax, I absolutely love the sounds that instrument can make. Maybe one day after I've quit smoking I'll give it a shot.
  13. I play upright bass in a jazz duo with a tenor player, very groovy.
  14. I play Bass and Sax...don't know if you can tell from my name or not...I have a Conn 22M Tenor w/ a Runyon Spoiler Mpc...hott diggetty daymn! it Roxors! of the best sounding saxes at my school. cept of course for one of my friends who practices like 24/7...I kinda lean more towards bass but still...A Rock, tough choice but a'int the SWR's GRAND?!?!??!
  15. here here, i play the alto, i've been playing from 6th to gonna be 12 grade this year ....wabam:cool:
  16. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
  17. I have an SWR Workingman 2004 teamed w/ a 4x10T...and yes I know miss-matched head and cab but I got the half stack for about half price so I'm not complaining...
  18. cole

Sep 14, 2000
    I thought this thread was going to be about Morphine.
  19. lsabina

Sep 3, 2008
    I'm actually a sax player who got tired of standing around after playing my solos while everyone else continued to play. With a shortage of bass players in my area, I figured I'd take up the bass. After some serious study, I'm loving it!
  20. rmkesler

May 6, 2009
    Winder, GA
    Yep. I majored in saxophone in college. Was always able to get more gigs with bass though.