1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass and Vibe Duo

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Levith, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Levith

Levith

Aug 7, 2005
    Hi all.

A couple of years ago I heard a duo with upright bass and vibes for the entire album! Didn't dawn on me until now that I really wanted to check it out. Does anyone know of any albums with just bass and vibes? I tried searching google, but I wasn't making great progress. Thanks.

2. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
  3. Michael Glynn

Michael Glynn

Feb 25, 2004
    Seattle
  4. Levith

Levith

Aug 7, 2005
    Thanks both of you guys! Definitely going to check these out!

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    One of my favorites is "Hotel Hello", by Gary Burton and electric bassist Steve Swallow. That record can't be defined by any other name except "great music".

imho

6. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    Yeah, great album, straight forward and solid music.

7. TomSauter

TomSauter

Dec 22, 2004
    Kennesaw, GA
    I was buying a bunch of records with Richard Davis and i picked a Walt Dickerson record with Richard that's just bass and vibes. I don't think I ever listened to it! I don't even know who Walt Dickerson is actually, maybe i'll check it out this week.

8. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    Yeah, on Steeplechase. That could very well be the one the OP heard in the first place.

9. cpaterso

cpaterso Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2007
    hi - years ago Miroslav Vitous and a French-Canadian vibist (whose name has slipped my mind) did a duo album together.

They were on tour in Canada this past summer - V was using an electric upright, a lap top and a keyboard that triggered samples.

quite amazing show!

Craig