Bass Angst!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SeedyBloke, Apr 11, 2001.

1. Hello Folks!
    This is my first post on TalkBass and I'm afraid it does not start on a light note!
    Just the other day I was playing bass in my room, getting into the groove, while some friends of mine were over. One of my mates pulled out my lead and told me to stop the racket as he was trying to watch the tv.
    They then started going on about how the bass is not a proper instrument and that it takes no skill to play. At this point I started to get pretty annoyed. They said that a guitar is much cooler and that I should play that instead!
    Now I know they were only joking about as no offence was really intended but I'm getting pretty fed up of how people see the bass.
    I know people who play guitar that seem to think that just because they can play guitar they can play the bass like Jaco.
    To play a bass well it needs to be played with feeling - thats what really counts.
    I don't think its right that the bass doesn't get the respect and recognition it really deserves. When people listen to a band and see them on MTV they just care how good the guitarist looks.
    I could go on!

Well I feel much better now I've got that off my chest!
    Feel free to post your opinions.
  2. When my friends are over, and I break out the ole' kazoo, they say that the kazoo is not a proper instrument also! They tell me it takes no practice to be good at kazoo, then I play them a rocking solo while accompinying (sp?) myself on bass, they just drop dead! Anyway, I'd like to see more kazoos in modern rock.
  3. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Seedy, welcome to Talkbass. Look at the "Remark that has pissed you off the most?" section in Bass Humour, and you'll find that plenty of people have encountered the exact same bassism. (Is that a word? It is now! :))

And Paste, the kazoo isn't a propler instrument! Why don't you learn one that takes skill, like the spoons or the washboard? :p
  4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    yeah seedy, go to the Bass Humor section... you will find your soulmates there, and many creative ways to reply to people like that...

i´m lucky to be in a city with few bassist, so no-one can say something like that to me, cuz i got plenty of bands to choose :D (i´m in two!)
  5. my friends never say that stuff when i am playing bass and they are watching TV. i will have to ask next time they are over but it is probally because i am a great bass player, or maybe its because i will tell them to leave. :D

probally the leave thing.
  6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I think it's the free tater chips, G-Puppy.

It's a Puppy thang.
  7. i always thought the kazoo section in RHCP's "love rollercoaster" was genius.
  8. BassicRob

Mar 28, 2001
    Massapequa, NY
    I do the opposite, I turn off the tv on them so I get rid of the racket. Both a distraction and that annoying hum!

Florescent lights are evil too, but I won't go there right now ;)
  9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Seedy - Think about it;

> You were playing a musical instrument

> He was watching TV

Which one of these people has a a better grip on "cool" ????
  10. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I get the least grief of anyone in my band.
  11. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    i think you'll find that most people reckon bass players look awesome !! well, all my friends and my girlfriend do (but i guess that must be my infectious obsession with the bass .. i go on and on about it and how inferior guitar is so everyone around me starts liking it and hating guitar ! sweet !)
    having educated everyone i know on the wonders and potential difficulties of bass playing, they have all seen the light. i hope you can do this too.

12. Cheers guys!
    I've decided next time they take a cheap shot at my instrument I'll just tell them to get the hell out of my room!
    I'm not sure if I should bother preaching to them about the bass as they are too stuck in thier ways.
    Luckily I do have other friends that also play instruments and uderstand the fundamentals of music who do understand how important the bass is.

Oh by the way Paste I happen to have a friend whith the same obsession with kazoos. He won't shut up about kazoo solos! Weird!
  13. Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    I always find the drummer gets the most stick in r band. but i got some good drummer jokes tho, but uve probably heard them b4. i'll give ya a few anyway.

wots the difference between a drummer and a trampoline?
    U take your shoes off to jump on a trampoline!

wot do u call some1 who hangs round with musicians?
    A drummer!

I know I shudnt but its so tempting... :)
  14. I'm telling ya, kazoos are the way of the future!!!!!! RHCP rule!