Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass appraisal

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Monte, May 17, 2001.

1. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    I posted this on the 2xbasslist and I'd like a few more eyes to render their opinion:
    I finally got my appraisal back from Rocky Werning this
    week, and I'd like everyones opinion. Don Munday has seen my bass, and I think
    Rocky is a great luthier, but I think sometimes the values he puts on basses
    are way too low. I KNOW that bass that Don is buying is worth more than
    3-4k!! That thing just sings. Anyway, on the appraisal, he said that it was
    a c.1935 Juzek (a little newer than he first thought, but still a Prague
    Juzek), yellow stain on a golden brown varnish, fifth string probably added
    several years ago but the tuners match so it's hard to tell, and in
    absolutely immaculate condition (this bass has never had a crack in the top,
    and just has one tiny dutchmen repair to the seam on the back). His
    valuation for my insurance appraisal was only $6000. Now that doesn't matter
    to me so much if I was selling it, because anyone could offer me double that
    and I wouldn't sell; it is absolutely one of the best sounding jazz basses
    I've ever played. Don will back me up on that. My concern is that if
    something were to happen to it and I have it insured for $6k, I seriously
    doubt I could find one in this good of shape for that amount of money.
    Should I take it to Dallas and have Jay Rury appraise it? I've seen
    transitional Juzeks made in Germany c.1950 go for $6000, but I don't see any
    this age and in this shape for that price. My thought was $7-8. I'd like
    anyones opinion.

Monte

2. I think you overestimate what the average German Juzek sells for.
    The estimate is of market value, not how much it means to you. The market for 5-strings simply is not strong, otherwise, there would be more of them. The appraisal is probably reflecting a discount. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't love what you have. You know the cost of an appraisal and what it costs to travel. How much will you spend on the hope of an additional 1-2,000 of insured value? And what is the likelihood that you'll need it?
    Meanwhile, if you love it, just think how much you didn't have to spend to get that much pleasure.

3. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Oh, I agree with most of those thoughts, I'm quite pleased that I got the bass for $3000, because the guy needed cash for building his studio. He had it priced at $6500 (in 1997) and I wanted it but couldn't afford it.

By the way, it is a 5-string in name only, right now it is converted to a 4-string, but a bridge and nut could convert it back.

I have seen 3 German made Juzeks go all for between 5-6k this year, and a Czech Juzek go for 7800, and none were in the shape mine is. As Barrie Kolstein put it, there are Juzeks and there are Juzeks......translation, some are good, some are junk.

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I get nervous hauling it around in my tiny Dodge Colt hatchback and thinking of it getting destroyed, getting a check for $6000 and not being able to get a comparable instrument. We in OKC don't have the choices you East Coasters do, although the internet makes finding basses easier. I literally looked for nearly 3 years before I found one I could afford and really liked. Driving to Dallas is not a problem, I occasionally play down there and my in-laws are there also. Right now I have it insured for $7500 through Music Pro and they haven't asked for my appraisal, although supposedly they will eventually, so maybe it's a moot point.

Thanks for your response Don. You've had enough basses to qualify as an expert so maybe I'm being paranoid {VBG}

4. Hi Monte !
    I will not argue about Don´s thoughts about
    a vintage Juzek....

However, an evaluation is only the oppinion of one
    luthier/expert (usually).
    Just recently a Gagliano cello was given an estimate
    of 40.000USD by Philips auctions.
    The same instrument was recently sold at
    120.000USD ! (Certified by Hill, London).
    This is an extreme example but I could mention many more...I am simply trying to say that
    evaluations can differ VERY much and if I would
    not be satisfied with one oppinion I would simply
    go elsewhere, especially if the instrument is valuable !

Kind regards,
    Christian V

5. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Funny about MusicPro that they don't ask for appraisals. I had to send receipt and appraisals (informal ok) copies to Merz-Huber.

I have a guesstimate from the backwoods luthier I acquired my bargain Juzek through, but I suppose I should take it up to Barrie Kolstein one of these days. My only fear (next to driving the LIE) is what it will cost me once he looks beyond the single obvious crack.

6. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS

Yeah, I thought it was odd that everyone but them asked for an appraisal, although my paperwork said something about that they could ask for an appraisal. I'm guessing they look at how much insurance you request and if it looks reasonable, they don't ask for your appraisal. Also, I'v heard that many times luthiers appraise higher for insurance purposes than sales, although Rocky doesn't. I insured my Juzek, AI Contra, Centaur amp, mic, pickup, and Ibanez 5-string toybass all under a $10,000 umbrella. The rate is very reasonable, and what I've been able to dig up on them, they are really good at paying claims, God forbid I should ever need them.

Monte