Bass & Architecture

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by luisnovelo, Feb 13, 2002.

1. Last monday I had to present an interpretation of music transformed into scupltural or architectural spaces.. (by the way, i´m studying architecture).. Besides of making a model of a weird sci-fi novel look-alike city, representing some parts and elements of a piano composition we listened to in class like the rest of the guys in my class, I made a 3d animation of scupltural figures that represented with different colors and shapes the notes, rythm and chords for a piece of song I had made up...

The song was all tappings and I played along with the animation.. All the class was stunned and I was the only of 26 students to get applauded and thanked for my project..

I got a little bit nervous because i had never played in front of a bunch of people who didn´t expected that kind of exposition... but felt really proud that someone appreciated what I did, even if some of them didn´t know whether I was holding a guitar a piano or a toy :D

2. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings

How did you come up with that idea?
  3. "Architecture is frozen music." - quote attributed to lots of different people.
  4. well.. I didn´t share the same ideas of some of my teachers about creating spaces from melodies and rithym, so I used what I had in my hands to share my interpretation of the elements of music as elements of architecture with the whole class... The animation wasn´t the big deal, it´s pretty simple and short, but it was just fine as it translated rithym into space, keys into color, and different sounds into shapes...
  5. That's incredibly cool. My roommate freshman year was an architecture major; he never could have come up with something that innovative.

Roger Waters and Nick Mason were both architecture students, IIRC, and actually made "blueprints" of early Pink Floyd compositions designed to resemble the various floors and rooms in a building.