Bass around $500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Secondhandloser, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005
    All right, I'm looking to replace my Thunderbird, and I'd like to get another bass for around $500, and my problem is, I know exactly what I want, but I can't find a bass that meets what I am looking for. I'm willing to save up more and get a more expensive bass, but I don't want to blow $3000 on a custom.
    I'm looking for a bass with an ash body, preferably available in red or white, with either a Peavey T40 esque, guild pilot, or some "standard" look ( ie, P or J bass), but light, with a thin neck, as in from palm to fretboard, with J bass style string spacing. I could probably build something like this myself, but as I have never done it before it would be nice to see if there is a production model like this. Thanks.
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Not ash, but how about Ibanez Soundgears?
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Or an ash ibanez SRX700 or something.
  4. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

5. form52

Mar 17, 2005
    Click Here.
    I played more than a few of these over the last month or two and must say that I was pretty impressed with the quality and sound.
    Definately some of the best sounding basses for their price range.
    I ordered a Stilleto Studio 6 last Thursday. I was REALLY impressed with it. I'm getting it through Guitar Center for about $600 (not the price you'll get it for though. You'll probably end up paying about $700 for that one, mine was lower because I ordered an SVT-5 Pro and a new 4x10 cab with it so it was knocked a bit lower) You should be able to talk someone into getting the price on most of them pretty low. There are a couple to stay away from though. Like the Stilleto Delux and Omen models. They sounded plastic to me. Definately worth looking in to though.
  6. +1 on a Schecter CV-4. Try a C-4 too, the neck is a little thicker but I really like both basses.
  7. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    That, along with the rest of your criteria, scream out for a Carvin.
  8. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    There's the Fender Active P-Bass Special. It's close to what you're looking for. P-Bass body (obviously) but Alder not Ash, Jazz neck, available in Candy Apple Red and Blizzard Pearl (White), and about $560 shipped (from Musicians Friend).
  9. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
  10. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    First thing that came to my mind was an Ibanex SRX700 or a G&L
  11. dbaser

Jan 22, 2005
    Mobile, AL

The Ibanez SRX705 is a fine specimen as well... I have the 505 and can't put it down. And the low B actually sounds great.
  12. Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
  13. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Fernandes Gravity!

14. The Yamaha BB series PJ bass were reviewed in in the newest Bass Player. They were reviewd favorably. I forget the model number but it is like the Miachael Anthony Signature series, without all the hot tamale non-sense inlay crap. It said they were comfy, sounded awesome and had an expensive feel, fit and finish. The fretless appears forthcoming, but only in black.

15. Jazz Classic 60's. Its slightly more expensive than 500$ but it kicks ass... that or the Geddy Lee.

OR... there was an Italian Luthier JimReed... he makes a jazz Bass Copy that looks really good quality and it's not very expensive... I was thinking of buying that until I bought the classic 60s...
  16. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    You could try one of the Carvin BK kits. Lots of fun to put together and you'll end up with a very light, nice playing and sounding bass for under $500.

The Ibanez SRX 700 is also a very nice bass, probably better than anything you can find in that price range from anyone else. Depending on personal preference of course.
  17. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

If you really want to save some bucks and get a nice axe to boot, check these out as they are on clearence for like 60 or 70 percent off list! ---> Click
  18. Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    I know it doesn't match what you want in a bass. But for $500 the Spector Legend 4 is the way to go!
  19. rowyco

Sep 24, 2004
    Traverse City, MI

I have the older model with passive electronics and I love it. IMHO, best bass for the price without question.