Bass as plane carry-on post 9/11 ??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eric Moesle, Oct 10, 2002.

1. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Before 9/11, I used to fly with my bass quite frequently, and typically just carried it on and put it in the overhead compartment. I once tried checking it as luggage in an ATA flight case, but American Airlines charged me $50 saying it was oversized luggage.

Several times in the past, the attendants would grumble about it, but permit me to take it on anyway. In know that things have gotten much stricter since 9/11.

Anyway, I'm going to start traveling again soon, and I was wondering about the experience of others since 9/11 in trying to take their gig bags on the plane as carry-ons.
  2. airport cop : what's in that bag sir ?

young bassplayer : Wow dude.. my favorite axe is in that bag, it's a killer, man ! hell yeah !

airport cop : please come with me sir..

** airport cop puts on LONG rubber gloves **

airport cop : please bend over and try to relax a bit sir.. this might hurt a little..

:rolleyes: :p :D
  3. American gave me a lot of grief trying to carry on my G&L. I had it in a gig bad so there was no way I was going to let them check it into the baggage compartment, even if it was only with the strollers etc. I argued and argued, cause I had checked with their baggage dept. before flying and they said it was okay to carry it on. I even had another passenger come to my defence and finally I made enough fuss they checked their new email policies and found it was okay to carry on! Same old, nobody really knows their jobs due to the amount of beuracracy in place. I'd do your homework first, get names and numbers of who you spoke with, otherwise you run the risk of getting it checked with the strollers and stuff.....
  4. Yeah, you've got to be ready to make a big fuss if need be. When I used to check bodyboards on planes, some airlines would charge extra for oversize, but the definition of "oversize" was kind of vague. The trick seemed to be blaming somebody else: "The lady on the phone said there wasn't an additional charge, and that's the whole reason I chose to fly on your airline." The best way I've found is to be calm and polite, but also make sure they know that the business you give them is based on this policy.

That said, I flew a Wal in from London on Virgin Atlantic last March and they didn't so much as open the case. That was kinda weird because when I got home, I realised that the bridge adjusting hex key looked a lot like some kind of icepick or something.

Good luck.
  5. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I have flown with my bass twice after Sept 11, once to San Francisco, and once to Hawaii. Both times the Flight attendants put my bass in the 1st class coat closet.

No problemo here.
  6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Be prepared to fight like crazy, or to relinquish your baby to the cargo compartment in it's gigbag if you try to carry it on. They've gotten VERY uptight about both carry on luggage and about "oversized" baggage. I've had to fly a bit lately with my stuff, and it's been a bey-otch :mad:!

I've given up on carrying my stuff on (especially the NS Design CR5M, it's just TOO damn long), and given in to the flight case. Of course, it also adds to the weight and size.

Fifty bux on American is the best I've heard, Delta and Continental both smacked me for $80! :p I did manage to sneak it past a couple times without paying, but you can't count on it. I've found that being polite, quiet, and doing everything possible to not draw attention to yourself - you have a better chance of "slipping under the radar".
  7. united was a bunch of assholes to me, i had a flight to los angeles 3 months ago and i brought my BB605 with me and they caused me to miss my flight to jfk so i can get a plane from jfk to LA, by the time they finished dealing with me in the little rooms somewhere abouts in the airport i missed my flight so i had to stick around Albany airport for another hour. so all the rest of my band members were on the plane that i missed,with all the time they took with me in the rooms i might as well have drove to Queens to get my flight. Finally they gave in and let me go abouts. they were at a point that they were going to make me take apart my bass and i said no way and then i said that i will tell everyone i know not to fly with you guys anymore and that i will not fly with you guys ever again. so they finally gave in, so everyone else in my band was in la about 2 hours before me so they had to wait around for me, it sucked. but what i dont understand is why they made me of all people get opulled away, they didn't give my drummer a hastle nor our 2 guitarists.

I WILL NEVER FLY UNITED AGAIN, DONT FLY UNITED AIRLINES!!!!!! fly some company like south west next time.
  8. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    One of my friends was asked to take apart his Strat in order to carry it on board. I can't remember what airline it was, but that was back in June. It ended up being cheaper for him to ship it overnight to his hotel and have it waiting for him on arrival.
  9. last summer all these companies United, Lufthansia, Air poland, Aer Lingus, and British airways gave all of my band members trouble when we played in europe. We were lucky i know some german to an extent that i could atleast make the lady at the desk put my stuff on a plane from this part of germany to another part or when we flew from germany to Ireland. We were also lucky for air poland that one of our guitarist is polish and speaks polish fluently. i i hate traveling with my bass, we flew southwest once and they charged ous 10 dollars combined for oversized, we were lucky. i absolutely hate flying with equipment since 9/11 before that i had no hassle.
  10. PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    Very interesting , and timely subject for me, as I'll probably be flying out to Tempe, AZ (I think that's where it is...) this New Years (from NY) to play in the Fiesta Bowl Block party.

I've never flown with any of my equipment, or basses...... We'll have all the backline stuff we need out there, but I will need to bring a bass (or 2).

Prior to 9-11, you could fit a bass in an overhead compartment ??? (probably not)

What about packing the bass(es) as you would if you were shipping them, in their cases , in boxes ?

I hate waiting for my luggage to come down the carousel......I can just imagine waiting for my prized bass.......Oh my !!!

11. why should we use other equipment we are not used to?
  12. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    yeah.. I'm not going to rent a bass.. I doubt I can go to any store and rent an Elrick.. besides.. my bass is mine.. it has that feel and tone I look for.. I don't want to spend time with another bass
  13. PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    All the backline equip will be available for me......

...I might just look into 'renting' a bass or 2 for the trip. I like that idea !! :)

14. leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
  15. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

i'd never let mine leave my sight. especially in a light plastic case. if it were in an 80 lb flight case with locks and a lojack, maybe.
  16. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Keep in mind the bass i was flying with was my DeArmond Pilot Plus 5 [$160 bass]. I flew NorthWest Airlines from Chicago O'Hare to Memphis to Ft.Lauderdale. My director told me not to count on carrying on my bass so i bought a SKB Standard Hardcase and bubble wrap. I wrapped the bass in the bubble wrap and then had fun with duct tape on the latches. Thank god they didn't ask me to open it up. They didn't charge me any extra to take it. It was on a Music Travel thingamajig where we [first edition] played on The Majesty of the Seas-Royal Caribbean cruise. Lots of fun, felt kinda worried when i didn't see my bass the first time but then it came out right next to my guitarists PRS. thats all
  17. stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Unofficially Endorsing Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars
    You probably wouldn;t believe the # of big name bands that rent their frontline as well as backline in each big town. I guess its just not worth the hassle for the fly by night tours, and one stops.
  18. What are people's opinions on checking your bass in a heavy-duty flight case? Do you think this is safe? Would you do it?
  19. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    It's how I travel with my babies. It has been safe on numerous occassions, but I HIGHLY recommend insurance, just in case!