1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

bass ass V Jazz bridge...string holes???

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by eastcoasteddie, Sep 5, 2008.

1. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I have a squire Deluxe Jazz V with a Bad Ass bridge on it. The bridge has what looks like 2 sets of holes per string, one up higher and one lower, and they are not in line with each other, they're sort of diagnonal to each other.
    When using the lower sets of holes, the strings are perfectly lined up in the center of each saddle. If the higher ones are used, the strings are sort of off to the left or right (depending on which saddles...B & E off to right; A, D, G off to the left) of each saddle.

All the of the strings fit in the lower holes except the B (.130"), it doesn't fit in the hole at the base of the string where it is overwrapped to hold the ferrule; and I have to use the higher hole. This throws my string spacing off on the B and to me it looks like ass.

What's the deal with these holes and which are you supposed to use? Why would they make one hole too small for a .130" B string? Should I drill it out to fit the string? (yes I have a drill press and am somewhat experienced in working with metals). Or do I HAVE to get a stepped string like a Low-Rider?

Can someone shed some light??

thanks

2. the bottom holes are for the strings, top holes are for the adjusting screws.
    You need to drill out the hole slightly for the .130 string.
    That is what I had to do on mine.
    I also found that the string spacing on the BA V is somewhat wider than stock. May or may not be an issue for you.

ed

3. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    WEll, on mine there are 3 holes per string total. One screw hole and 2 other holes.

PICS:

DSC_4187.

DSC_4189.

here, you can see how the B string is off to the side of the saddle

DSC_4192.

4. Funkdrawer4

Funkdrawer4 Registered Abuser

Can you tell the spacing is off on the B when you play?

5. yep, that is the same as the one I am looking at right here. If you notice, 2 of the saddles are offset to the left, and 3 to the right.
    I didnt design the thing, but I am guessing you could mix up the saddles if you want, not sure if this will change anything, I doubt it. Maybe they think it looks better with the holes layed out like that, who knows.
    You need to drill out the hole for the b string slightly.
    start with a 5/32 drill bit work up from there.
    I know it is a pain in the but to remove the bridge and do this, but the string really needs to break over the saddle at more of an angle than what you have.

ed

6. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    exactly what I was thinking.

thanks!:bassist:

7. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    Removed it, drilled it and re-installed it. all is cool.

I measued my string to be roughly 0.155" to 0.160" or so; it's not a perfecty even surface there at the base of the string. The hole is a perfect 0.150". I drilled the hole out to 0.173" to give me some extra space just in case of any future string inconsistencies I may encounter.

Now I gotta work on shielding the control cavity...