1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass assembly - tips on neck / bridge installation

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Fathand, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Fathand

Fathand 21st Century Distortion Man Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2005
    Finland
    Ok, so I got me a new project. Actually the first I'm going to do from this point to the end. I know how to do a basic setup (intonation, string height, truss rod etc.), but I've never installed a neck before or moved a bridge. This is the package I'm going to start to assemble:
    View attachment 124061

- Ibanez Roadstar II Body
    - Mighty Mite Jazz bass neck

The work I have ahead of me:
    - make the neck pocket just a little bit larger so the neck will fit + install the neck
    - most likely move the bridge (i'll know for sure when the neck is in place), because the Original neck had 21 frets and the neck I have has 20.

The work on the neck pocket is pretty minimal, it almost is a direct drop in. I most likely will just have to sand the pocket sides a bit. The height looks ok by the looks of it. But, what are the most important things I have to consider i addition to these?
    - The neck alignment to the bridge & pickup
    - (the already mentioned) Neck height, so that the bridge & strings can be adjusted accordingly

I'm new at this, so any information is appreciated.

I've decided to do this myself, because the last time I fought with a project like this I had a lot of fun and got me a very nice bass in the end to use - and that time I just did the electronics, changed the pickups & tweaked an unfitting PG to fit!

Thanks. :)