Bass Assembly

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr.QuakQuak, Aug 30, 2003.

1. How difficult would it be to assemble a bass ? Not building it from scratch, but say I gett a body and neck from Warmoth and installing the wireing ? Some reason this appeals SO much more to me then buying basses. Also to add to this I'm 16 but have experience with tools, and more this comming year since I'm taking Carpentry.

Also I put this in Luthier's Corner since I'm not sure where it belongs most, but I think more people check this forum more so it would be of better intrest to be placed here for more help.
  2. No one. Thought some one would have replied with over 20 views :-/
  3. Well. It's probably very hard to do. And you could easily mess up.

That's why I can't put anything important together.
  4. WEll at least you tried. And thats what counts !
  5. if you don't have experience with the soldier, you can ask a friend for help, and download the circuit schematics for the electronics and pick ups.
  6. Bazzist

Dec 7, 2002
    Nova Scotia
    Im 15 and I assembled my own bass(warmoth style project)p bass with my father its not hard. Just make sure if you can have someone around that knows what they're doing. Ask at guitar repair shops and luithiers if you have questions.
  7. Yes, I'm almost 17 so I think I'm old enough to handle it. Anyone over 12 should be able to with supervision or knowing of tools I think. I have a little experience with soldiering but I'll have more in the months to come.
  8. I'm sixteen, and when I was done glueing things to duct tape, I would probably end up with a can opener:oops:

9. It depends on what you have to do. If you're talking about a prefinished body, painted/dyed and clearcoated, and a prefinished neck, fingerboard glued on and frets in place, then it's not all that difficult.

If you're talking about starting with a few blocks of raw wood, metal and wire (for the pickups), then I'd guess it's going to be a real job.

*shrug* If you're curious and want to give it a try, buy a cheap bass. Then go ahead and tear it apart down into it's component pieces. If you're really into it you could also play around with stripping the finish and refinishing the body.

If nothing else it'll prevent you from screwing up a $300 Warmoth body.

10. I'm talking about getting a finished body and neck and putting it on the body, then duing the wiring required for the pickups and knobs. Shouldn't be to difficult ?
  11. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Not too hard, it's easy once you build a stompbox or two :D
  12. I think in that case, the only problem you should encounter is the electronics and wiring. And even then, it's not too bad. Get a diagram, and someone who knows how to solder.
  13. Or you can buy a cheap bass and learn by taking it apart and putting it back together. Then you can have some fun modding it with new pickups or electronics. Or perhaps you could take a router to a cheap P-bass copy and turn it into a PJ instead. Or perhaps put in a MM style pickup in the bridge position instead.

I just suggest this because all the wiring will be connected. So you could take some photographs and that'll give you an idea of what goes where once you disassemble the bass. Then if you're really feeling frisky then you can investigate what's needed to design and hand make your own personal custom pickups.

At least this is the path I'm currently taking.

14. When I was 14, I built an electric guitar from scratch. Back in them thar days there was no such thing as parts suppliers. I bought a set of tuners and a pickup, some timber, and got a guitar repairer to sell me some fretwire, an old truss-rod, and write down the spacings for the frets. I copied a Strat shape, and made it neckthru. I cut the wings and headstock out with a handsaw, and shaped the body-wings and neck with rasps and files, and lots of sandpaper. The bridge was off an old archtop, and it took me about 3 months. I used that guitar in my first band, and it played OK, and stayed in tune pretty well. I used it for a couple of years, and then sold it to buy a bass. Now of course, you can buy finished necks and bodies and just bolt them together, the end result being pretty damn good.