1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass at GC with dings, worth asking if they'll take anything off price?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by VWbug, Apr 2, 2015.

1. VWbug

VWbug

Sep 11, 2010
    New Jersey
    Was looking at a P bass at GC and it sounded nice but had a few dings. $1,300 is a lot for a new bass with Dings.

Anybody ever get something off or do they generally think it's just the way it is... :(

Was also looking at some nice ones on Sweetwater because they do excellent pics and provide weights. It's just I can't check for dead spots etc. Return shipping I guess costs a bit too?

2. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    If it's being sold as a new bass, it should have no dings. Have them ship you a new one to the store if they don't have any in stock (that way, you can give it a try before you take it home)- I wouldn't buy the floor model if I'm paying the sticker price for a new one. Used basses are pretty much WYSIWYG.

3. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    The GC floor models get beat on. They probably have more of the same model out back, but will often negotiate on scratch and dent models. Worth a try.

Joebone, gsgbass and VWbug like this.
  4. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: DNA
    It's worth a shot. I bought a "new" floor model Yamaha BB series 5 string a few years ago that had a few dings etc at a Sam Ash. They sold it to me for a great price.

VWbug likes this.
  5. VWbug

VWbug

Sep 11, 2010
    New Jersey
    Thanks

6. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I'd say give it a try, if they don't go for it, walk. Come back another day, see if they've changed their minds...

Jeff Scott, gsgbass and VWbug like this.
  7. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    Everybody deals, mint or not.

8. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    They may deal and they may not. They may prefer to sell you a new one in the box rather than take a hit on that one and have to put a new one out there for the same thing to happen to.

9. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    They may well end up taking a bigger hit letting the current get beaten to a pulp. I'd say if they don't go for it, walk, come back a week later, still there, still no deal, never go back again.

obimark and VWbug like this.
  10. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I have had places tell me flatly that they cannot sell the floor model because it's the one they have out there to be handled and they don't want to have to put another one out there. It's their choice and I wouldn't refuse to ever deal with them again because of it.

DiabolusInMusic and VWbug like this.
  11. Dash Lashes

Dash Lashes Banned

Feb 20, 2015
    when you buy a new car, how many "test drive miles" on it make it used?

TonyP- and VWbug like this.
  12. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Are we going to go through all this again? We just did that. :D

13. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Definitely ask.

I will not buy a floor model instrument for full price unless it's mint. Not that I buy anything new really.

14. gsgbass

gsgbass "ROAD REX" Supporting Member

I would definitely ask for some price consideration on a dinged floor model, if that was the only one in house. If they won't deal with you, walk away from it. They work with a pretty sizable mark up on basses in that P Bass category.

bholder likes this.
  15. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    Its worth asking but over the last few years they have been reluctant to mark anything down.

VWbug likes this.
  16. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Anything worth doing is worth overdoing, no? ;)

The Veg likes this.
  17. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Might have something to do with their financial difficulties. Both cause and effect.

18. Then walk ! There is ALWAYS someone that will deal. Go elsewhere if you have to. You should never pay more than 85% of MAP (minimum advertised price) on any new musical product. NEVER.

TMARK and obimark like this.
  19. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    You might be too late. I caught a Gibson dot-board glossy sg bass with a chip near the neck pup, I only said "so, the uh, price?" The guy checked the tag and read it to me. "Yeah, but, um..." and I pointed at the chip. $9xx down to $6xx in five seconds flat. I come back with the cash two days later and it was gone.

20. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I have never heard of places selling the floor model if it wasn't the last one. I do not mean just for instruments either. Why take the hit on two units?