1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass at the beach?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Herman, May 12, 2006.

1. Herman

Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    So, my daughter's getting married next Friday and she wanted to have a wedding on the beach so...

We're headed to Nags Head, NC tomorrow for the week and she'll have her wedding on a little beach at sunset. What's this got to do with bass? OK, one of the guys in the wedding party will be bringing his acoustic and electric guitars and a small combo amp. My wife/daughter both want me to take my bass with me so I can jam with this guy, entertain the folks during the week. That's cool, I'm just concerned about taking my L2000 to the beach and exposing it to the sea air. I was hoping that someone could weigh in on whether there are any potential problems with this and if there's anything I should do to minimize any negative effects on my baby. The other option is to take my backup bass (Dean Edge Fretless) but I'd rather take the G&L unless there's a good reason not to - any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

2. Salt air is bad news for musical instruments in general, but less so for a hard-finished solidbody than for an acoustic guitar or a double bass. You might want to take your cheapie, though.

3. Herman

Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    Thanks, Peter - that's what I was afraid of. I guess I'll take the Dean.

4. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Definitely take the cheapie, because you'll also have sand blowing around.

You didn't actually like having a glossy finish on your bass, did you? Don't worry. You won't have it after playing on the beach.

At least I didn't. Fortunately it was a cheapie for me, too. Mine was a Squier. I keep considering using it to do finishes, since the finish on it is toast.

5. Herman

Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    Yeah, I've got the Dean packed up and ready to go. I wasn't really wanting to get that nice sand-blasted look on my L2K's finish - thanks for the input.

6. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    I expected the same problems last year. I took ny MK Dragonfly 5 to Panama City last June. Played it every day on the beach, the balcony, etc.... I kept waiting for it to split or warp.

No problems at all.

And the girls!!!! Let's just put it this way.... chicks love a pasty white guy playing 5 string on the beach!!;)

7. The humidity is usually what kills the hollow body style instruments. You will definately get sand blasted anywhere on the beach. Backup all the way........I live at the beach and I am dreading coming home one day and my acoustic be in pieces on the floor by the stand it was in.

Definately wipe down any polished parts real, real, real good when you get through playing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Oh C'mon, its one day at the beach--> you only live once so bring your best bass and have a good time,,, besides what about your amps? you can't leave them home.. when you see all the water getting sucked out into the harbor then grab that nice Bass and get the hell outta there otherwise face the ocean and enjoy the breeze, also check out the girls and say to yourself "there isn't many bass players who will ever experience this" and have a good time..

9. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    A veteran of many beach gigs, one day is all it takes if the wind is blowing the salt air in your direction. If it's blowing the salt away from you, it's just another outside gig.

Sensitive electronics and salt air don't mix. Take junk. Take something that doesn't have a fan in it or in six months it will be at the repair shop. It will kill whatever strings you have on the instrument and every piece of metal that you can't get to and decontaminate will oxidze, rust or pit.

10. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Instruments are to be played, not just pampered, but when it comes to the beach, I think all bets are off. It's just too, too easy to hose a bass at the beach.

I vote for taking the backup.

11. Herman

Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    Thanks for all the input guys. I'm at the beach now (left yesterday morning) and ended up taking the cheapo. Someone mentioned the amp - it's the guitar player's, so I'm not worried about that; if he doesn't care, why should I?

Thanks again.

12. Whoow. Getting a tan while playing bass with your feet in the sand.

Have a great time Herman!!