1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass back from tech....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ped, Feb 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ped

ped User Commercial User

Aug 30, 2006
    York, England
    Recently I asked about turning a stacked bass and treble control into two singles which I prefer. I found a guitar tech in York (UK) who was willing to do the job. www.facebook.com/yorkguitardoctor

Normally I'm OK with doing the mods myself, but the electronics cavity needed some tidying up anyway and I didn't want to break anything. It's a Marleaux 3 band pre-amp and normally not found in anything other than their own instruments - with no wiring diagram to go on I was in over my head!

Stephen did a great job and I'm really chuffed. I'll get some better pics in the daytime but this is the best I can do for now.

Well that's the latest update in the story of this constantly evolving bass! I don't think there's anything else to do now but play it!

Cheers
    ped

EPSN0948_zpso6j8f20j.

2. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    Nice looking bass here my friend.:thumbsup:

3. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Holy crap. You've got more knobs, switches, and buttons than NASA. I like it.

What do they all do, and what's the story with the pickup ring?

4. ped

ped User Commercial User

Aug 30, 2006
    York, England
    Thanks, yes it's very versatile especially hooked up to the VB99. That said, I play it flat with the magnetic pickups most of the time.

Front to back (pots)
    Mag volume
    Mag blend
    Assignable GK control (normally to change synth wave shape or similar)
    Pre amp Mids
    (mini pot) Pre amp treble
    (mini pot) Pre-amp bass

One active/passive switch

Two 'up/down' momentary buttons for the ROland GK to switch through patches or activate settings/effects

Of course all this gadgetry would be worthless if the bass itself didn't play so well, so it's lucky this bass is so lovely to play. Action is super low, zero neck relief and it has a clarity all of its own probably due in no small part to the soft body wood combined with a graphite neck.

I've had it for 10 years now. The pickup ring was made by a guy from Australia(!) for me a while back to fill a bit of a gap around the pickups (the Delanos are a bit smaller than the ones they replaced). It also acts as a nice thumb anchor hence the wear spot.

Cheers
    Chris

wvbass likes this.
  5. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I'd be chuffed too if I knew what it meant.

6. ped

ped User Commercial User

Aug 30, 2006
    York, England
    Ah 'Chuffed' is an English expression to convey satisfaction with a carbon fibre instrument

Flooflox and murphy like this.
  7. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Propper chuffed if you get a nice cuppa tea and a slice of cake with it

UK Philip, ped and Immigrant like this.
  8. Nice bass!

I marched twenty miles in HS band alternating between playing snare and bass drums. I sure was chuffed at the end of that.

ped likes this.
  9. ped

ped User Commercial User

Aug 30, 2006
    York, England
    I had a cup of beautiful Assam tea and a slice of fresh Bakewell Tart as soon as I got my bass home, no word of a lie. I was well chuffed.

murphy likes this.
  10. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i've been properly chaffed before. :D

ped likes this.
  11. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Mmmm....Bakewell tart.... We don't get that here Mr Kipling

12. twinjet

twinjet AJ, you're the MAN! Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Sure you weren't chuffing? I'd be short of breath meself was I in your position.

Nice bass, @ped :thumbsup:

13. ped

ped User Commercial User

Aug 30, 2006
    York, England
    Here's a clip so you can hear:

1 - bass with magnetic pickups, passive mode, clean through VB99
    2 - my Jazz bass model on my VB99, I'm copying David Barard's tone (Dr. John)
    3 - Musicman Stringray setting on VB99

So all these on one bass, one of the reasons I love my VB99 and the Vigier!

fokof and wvbass like this.
  14. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    I had a nice cuppa PG Tips and several Walker shortbreads mid day and I too was chuffed:cool:

murphy likes this.
  15. ped

ped User Commercial User

Aug 30, 2006
    York, England
    Good call. I just had some really nice cheese and biscuits. Only because I ran out of Marmite (wasn't chuffed about that) so gave up on the toast idea.

16. UK Philip

UK Philip

Sep 5, 2013
    Nice bass mate.

I'm actually in Yorkshire myself, and was looking for someone to do quite an ambitious electrical upgrade (not even going to try), so thanks for the link.

17. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Actually I just had Marmite on my buttered crumpets for breakfast....mmmmm

My wife doesn't get the Marmite thing.......guess you have to grow up with it

18. UK Philip

UK Philip

Sep 5, 2013
    Marmite on crumpets is a new one for me.

I eat both regularly but never together, though Google does say it's a thing. I will forsake the usual strawberry jam and put a dollop of marmite on there tomorrow!

murphy likes this.
  19. ped

ped User Commercial User

Aug 30, 2006
    York, England
    Yeah I tend to have it on crumpets too, although occasionally a big blob will fall into one of the 'crumpet craters' and provide a spicy surprise hence my tendency to favour a muffin or toast

20. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    All it needs is a carrot stick shift!! Nice looking Bass:thumbsup: