Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Bag for a New Standard Cleveland?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by jar240, Apr 25, 2005.

1. jar240

jar240 Supporting Member

I'm about 1/4" away from ordering a Cleveland, and when I get it I want to make sure I have a good bag to protect it. The Kaces III I have now is falling apart.

Does anyone know of a good bag (up to $600 US) that'll fit the Cleveland's general hugeness, especially the upper bout? Soundwear?

Thanks,
    Chris
    http://www.chrisbreitner.com

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Mooradian does bags for custom measurements, they run about $350 (at best recollection). I have a Messina bag that I like, I sent'em my measurements for that.

But why don't you ask Ahnoldt? I'm sure he can tell you with a great deal of precision what they generally sell with their basses...

3. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Arnold has Standard Moorian bags that will fit.

4. I got one of Bob Gollihur's green bags for my Cleveland. It is a snug fit but goes on and off easily after using it a few times. The bag is well padded but not to the point of being stiff. It has plenty of pockets and, best of all, handles all over the place.

5. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    When I ordered my Cleveland, I received an email from Wil and they have Mooradian bags that they sell. I am looking at the Kolstein bag but not sure if I would need the 7/8 size or if the 3/4 bags.

It's good to hear that the Gollihur bags fit the Cleveland and you can't beat the price of them.

Fred

6. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Arnold sold me what he called a "large 3/4 Standard" Mooradian bag when I bought my Cleveland from him.

7. A standard issue Mooradian fits the Cleveland; no need for custom measuring. Ask Arnold.

8. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    I have a Bob G. bag on my old Standard. As Steve K. posted on this thread, it was a close fit, but got easier once it'd been on and off a few times. Also helps lifting the bag slightly just before zipping over the bass's shoulder.

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I had one of the Lemur house-brand bags on my old Standard, and it fit just fine. Ditto about the lifting at the shoulders.

10. Aleph5

Aleph5

Feb 24, 2004
    Tennessee
    I got a Mooradian Deluxe w/ my Cleveland, and Wil and Ahnult's price was as good as I'd seen. It's extremely well padded (bag, not price ;) ). My only complaint is I'd prefer the long zipper on the playing side of the bass, but the Mooradian's is on the opposite. So I turn the bass around so that the back is facing front. It's a bit of a hassle. My old bass's Kolstein bag is excellent too and cheaper. It has some other handles and fasteners I like better and its zipper on the right side. It's a little snug, however, on my Cleveland, and not quite as well padded (but almost).

Maybe Mooradian can do the zipper either way(?).

11. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I bought an Upton bag with my Cleveland, but I'd not recommend it...it's not held up very well, and it looks like I may need another one soon.

12. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Mike,

I've been checking out the forum for about a month, and have seen pics of your Cleveland. Is that a custom finish, or just how good the standard finish looks?

I haven't been able to locate anything to play in the Tallahassee area (I'm in LLA :D ). Gonna go by FSU this week to track down a teacher. I'm saving for either the Cleveland or a Hybrid Shen. Do you know any good Luthiers around your area?

Thanks,
    Jesse Maines

13. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Jesse, I'm not sure about the standard finish...mine's the only one I've seen "in the flesh". Judging by photos I've seen mine may be a little darker than usual. No good luthiers in my immediatel local area, but a couple of good ones in Atlanta (100 miles from here). Ronald Sachs is who'd I'd use.

14. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Thanks Mike. I really appreciate what everyone who participates here at TB does with the postings. What a class joint! I can feel the DB enthusiasm and can't wait to find a teacher and hit the woodshed!

Funny thing is I just moved from Atlanta. Was more focused on my day job and wasn't playing much music. Long story (don't want to rant, everyone else has covered this)..but I bought a Crapmona in '98 that I've been hauling around with a warped neck/fingerboard, I'm not sure. Thanks to TB, I see this thing is not worth sinking money into, but might make a nice fire to roast marshmallows on!

Jesse Maines

15. Jesse,
    I'm using a Bob Gollihur bag on my N.S. Cleveland. Works great.
    Jim

16. brutuscheezcake

brutuscheezcake Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2003
    Bodega Bay
    hey man!

i got the "standard" mooradian from arnold. its easy on/easy off and has handles just were you need 'em. it fits the cleveland like a charm.

just my two cents worth!

simon

17. mattwells

mattwells

Mar 19, 2003
    GA
    For my old AS, I got a custom bag from Jacques Gagnon at Cremonasia (www.cremonasia.com) Fits perfectly, thick padding, and everything is custom so you are guaranteed your wheel, endpin, etc. will fit. You also get alot of color options.

Matt

18. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I checked out the site. "Prices on request" Well, as the saying goes, if I have to ask I can't afford it. <g>

19. mattwells

mattwells

Mar 19, 2003
    GA
    I bought mine, with a new endpin assembly and shipped, for about $250. Extremely high quality and a GREAT price!

20. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Can't speak to if it fits a cleveland, but I like my bobelock bag a lot...