Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Bag Recommendations . . .

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by FidgetStone, Sep 29, 2004.

1. FidgetStone

FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    Hey Folks,
    The bag that came with my Christopher is just a nylon shell with no padding at all. I am looking to upgrade to something that will provide better protection, and I am considering all the usual suspects like Morradian, Bobelock and Kaces.

The new Upton bag with wheels looks especially interesting since it has both shoulder straps and wheels. Also, I don't know how much bridge protection any bag can provide but I would be interested in your experiences regarding protection and wear.

Your input is much appreciated. Thanks . . .

2. I bought one of the Kaces bags and it gets the job done. I must say, though, that one of the handles came off (the seam failed, not the fabric). I had it sewn back on and reinforced by a local shoe-repair place.

The Kolstein bag looks awesome -- tons of handles and even a slot to stow your endpin while you're using your wheel. I'm going for the Kolstein next time around.

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I'm not too crazy about my Mooradian...coming apart at the seams, and the hardware is getting funky.

4. I bought a Kolstein about 10 years ago when they just happened to be on sale. It's been the most servicable one yet.
    I do have a recommendation for anybody buying a new bag (unless these things are already provided on case)
    I load my basses in a hatch back, so I always make sure that there's a handle down at the very bottom of the case about where the saddle of your bass would be. If there is a handle there and there should be, I go straight away to my shoe repair place and have them sew on a leather strip right where the handle is sewn to the bottom of the case.
    Also, I have them sew another strip of leather right to the bridge handle area.
    You'll be amazed at the lack of tearing and ripping of material.

5. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Bobelock. The one I have for my extremely heavy 4/4 Solano Klotz copy is superb. Handles everywhere, good padding, and high quality stitching. Better than the Mooradian I used to have.

Monte

6. I'm very happy with my bobelock bag. I got mine for ~$170 inc shipping from wwbw.com. I just checked their web site and they still have the same price. I've only had it for four months or so, but its survived more than 50 outings with no sign of age or wear. There is plenty of padding (~3/4") and handles for my use.

The only thing that bugs me with it is the accessory pockets. I'd like something a little more substantial in design, but for $200 less than mooradian and others, I can't complain. The pockets do what they are supposed to, but I can imagine they'll be the first thing to rip or tear.

I haven't had any problems with the shoulder strap that Patrick has with his.

7. Has anyone had experience with the Upton Bags? These things sound extremely heavy duty. I like the fact that that the y open up all the way around the scroll. Are these a good deal or could I get something similar for less money?

8. I had a Pro Tec case for my first bass that I REALLY enjoyed. They don't have it on their website anymore, but a music store in the Minneapolis area still has them. When I got my new bass, I opted to go with a SoundWear case instead of a Mooradian. I can't stand the Mooradians :( The SoundWear was a bit more expensive, but it's like a Mercedes of cases. (Hard shells being the Bentleys). If you head over to Lemur's online store, you can check them out: http://shop1.mailordercentral.com/lemurmusic/products.asp?dept=30

9. I'm glad you started this thread. I was looking for a case but totaly forgot abou upton.

10. I have had an Upton bag since 2003 and the only major
    problem was with the bridge handle. A trip to the local
    shoe repair to resew it with heavier thread fixed it. I hear
    the new Upton bags are better but I have no experience
    with the new ones. By the way, the wheels on the bag
    are GREAT. Really handy and easy to move around!!!:cool:

11. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I have one of Bob Gollihur's bass bags and it's fine. Really can't beat the price.

12. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    I just got an Upton bag and I am liking it a lot - the padding is great, and the pocket behind the scroll is VERY handy for me when in the subways

13. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have been researching this for a while, and it seems that both Upton and Bob G have similar bags at great prices.

However, these and all of the other bags that I have seen have a serious design flaw - they have no endpin pocket! :rollno:

I can't be the only one that replaces the endpin with a wheel when the bass in in the bag...and then where does the endpin go? It's extremely inconvenient to put it at the bottom of the bow pocket, and a pain to fish out later. And keeping it in a separate bag increases the chances of forgetting or losing it.

It seems like this would be a simple, useful and obvious improvement to any of these bags.

Andy

14. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    agreed

15. I have a Mooradian deluxe and have been very happy with it. It has an endpin pocket in the back and plenty of well placed handles. I've had it for a little over a year.

I used to have an English case that came with my bass. I don't know who makes them. It was a great case but somebody spilled coffee near it and some of the coffee got on the zipper. The zipper got completely screwed up and I'm not sure where I can get it fixed. That case had plenty of heavy duty handles and an endpin pocket as well.

16. But since Upton and Gollihur bags both have wheels, isn't this a moot point?

17. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    The wheels on the cases are light duty - good for a building - not for NYC streets! That's where you need a Gaines!

18. My being brand new to the DB world, please excues my ignorance, but should I be taking the endpin out and get a Gaines wheel for when it is in the case? This seems like a lot of work. And I could be wrong, but it doesn't look like the endpin sticks out of the bottom of the Upton bag. But now I am wondering if the wheels on the bag are sturdy enough to go across a parking lot.

19. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    If you do a lot of running around carrying the bass on foot, get a Gaines.