bass balls

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by darthspada, Jan 25, 2001.

1. darthspada

Jan 20, 2001
    Lancaster, PA
    Anybody own a Bass Balls stomp box? I think it's the unit used by the bass player in a funk band I was playing guitar for, but I'm not positive. Whatever the heck it was, it was pure funk, very Bootzilla. I've heard the same effect used by Flea and Mike Watt. I'd like some input on this device... what classification of effect is it, how much should I pay for one, is it easy to use, and, most importantly, how reliable is it? I've had problems with just about every stomp box I've ever owned, so before I buy another... please help!
  2. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
  3. bassmanjck

Jan 12, 2001
    I've had mine for about 6 months. I think I paid a little less than $100 for it, but I'm sure you can get it cheaper. It's an envelope filter (actually, dual filters). There's a good range of sounds you can get by dialing for more or less of the effect. There's also a distortion switch, but it sounds bad so I leave the distortion off.

It's a good solid pedal. I use it on the few funk tunes my band plays. The only thing is, you can't use it too often. 2 or 3 songs per gig at most. If you play a lot of funk, or need a wah type sound, it's a good pedal to have. I hear McCartney had the very first one made.
  4. I've got a couple of originals that have made every gig for 15 years and while they have needed some minor repairs (the entire circuit board hangs from the lugs of the pot) and regular cleaning they hold up pretty well. The originals go from $200 to $350. There are also 2 reissues, the russian in a big black box ae $75-90. The NYC reissues are almost exactly like the originals with an added LED are 10 to 20 bucks more.
  5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I bought the black russian BassBalls a couple of days ago and I love it. It's the funkiest pedal I have ever owned.

It sounds great not only when slapping on a fretted bass, but you can also get a beautiful vocal quality too, especially on fretless. I played my Pentabuzz through it and I'm thinking of ways to make it work in a Jazz setting. Also, If I'm in a jam and someone calls "Higher Ground", I'm gonna bring the house down. :D

Will C.:cool:
  6. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I'm thinking about getting one of these. Am I correct in assuming that since the effect is sensitive to dynamics (pluck soft = not much effect, pluck hard = lots of effect)
    I should put it BEFORE my compressor?
  7. Also be sure to try out the EBS BassiQ a really funky little piece. Very sturdy and easy to use, lots of rave reviews.. including me.. Love it dont buy anything else until youve tried the BassiQ.
  8. yes, it is dynamic and thus should be first in your signal chain.
    i have one and it's just too funky! i don't use it a lot either, but when i do it's so much fun. i set sensitivity low, in juuuuust the right spot so the wah just opens up. that's as funky as it gets. oddly enough, flipping on the distortion switch makes it more quiet, so i don't use that.
    by the way, this pedal sounds so much better when driven hard, so if you have an active bass or a post-preamp effects loop, use that.
  9. ive got the black box.,,russian bassballs, dual envelope filter/ distortion pedal. this and my ugh,,,dod envelope filter are my favorites. i usually dont like the dod stuff but i love my green box. the bassballs has more of a good funk voicing type of effect, i love it! i paid 67. for it very slightly used, but musicians friend has them nib for 79.99.....rock on!
  10. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA has the USA-made Bass Balls for $89.99 and the Russian made version for $10 less. I bought the USA-made one, and its metal chassis seems sturdy enough. This effect has twin filters. The EBS BassIQ, the other envelope-style effect I considered has three filters, but the $199 price steered me toward the EH. It's a funky little doodad and certainly seems roadworthy enough.
  11. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I love the sound you can get from an envelope filter and have tried both the bass balls :D and the DOD model:mad:. But I've been contemplating looking into a bass wah by dunlop( the 105q I think). Is it easy to get an envelope sound with a true wah?:confused: