Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Balls

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by nymph, May 14, 2001.

1. nymph

nymph

Mar 16, 2001
    Bucyrus Ohio
    Is the bass effects pedal Bass Balls worth the 79$ you have to pay for it out of a magizine? anyone? I'm looking to buy me one of these. If you can make any sujestions for me besides this they are greatly apriciated. thanks

2. I would definitely recommend the Bass Balls... It's a veeery entertaining device, that gurgles in such a funky and slimey way, that you just have to love it. However, I would advice you to buy the Made In U.S. version, as the Made In Russia (Sovtek) versions of EH pedals are infamously fragile - I've had to replace the footswitch of my Bass Balls, as it refused to co-operate at all. Plus, the U.S. version is considerably smaller than that ugly russian box. Also, consider a wall wart, since this unit isn't true bypass - it will totally suck out your tone when it's battery runs out... When I bought it, It took me awhile to realize what the devil was wrong, when I started to loose my top end..! Adapter solved that minor problem neatly.

3. I have balls too, it is really damn cool, but for some reason mine gets a rather hissy air sound if I turn the sensitivity up past say 10-11 oclock... dunno whats wrong yet, maybe it is a battery thing, but i have changed it..... oh well i guess I will get a plug.

4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I don't like the Bassballs pedal (but that's just me).

Here's a link to Musictoyz site. There are a couple of Real Audio sound samples that will give you an idea of what the Bassballs sounds like. (Got a Real Player?)

http://www.musictoyz.com/eh.htm

(Ooo, that Mini Q-Tron looks interesting...)

5. FOE_Bass

FOE_Bass Guest

Jun 29, 2000
    Grass Valley, CA
    I have the bassballs and love it. Be sure to open the mother up and fiddle around with the trim pots inside to totally customize your balls. Mine is set to a real attacking threshold that decays quickly.

6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i like the moogerfooger a LOT more...

but it's also 3x the cost.

and it doesn't have distortion, but i don't use that alot anyways.

jason

7. jbass27

jbass27

May 4, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    BassBalls is the shiznit! (if you like the sound) My problem with them is this. The US one sounds slightly better, but I like the big distortion switch on the Russian one.

8. watch out with active basses,some will distort the input..my rick sounded better thru it than my emg equipped fender(which is wired for 18v operation)..the US re-issue does sound a little better than the sovtek version and is a lot smaller but I agree with the comment about the distortion switch..I was able to flick it with my toe(which is good in a live situation)but I had to get rid of it (the sovtek is notorius for breakdown...which mine did)and I ended up getting a 105q bass wah and using it with a boss odb3,I can achive ALMOST the same sound by quickly stamping on the wah as I pluck the string...I said almost the same sound,and I have a really good wah too(a little more versitile for ME).try a bassballs, they are a lot of fun.one of the best one trick pony's out there...LATER

9. what are these trim pots inside you are talking about? I opened mine up and had no idea what you were talking about

10. What exactly does this effect do?

11. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I've got one of the black Sovtek BassBalls and if you take of the screws that hold the unit together you will find two small white plastic trimpots mounted on the circuit board facing up (toward the top of the effect). Before changing settings I'd recommend marking the pot with a felt-tip pen to note your original settings.

Using something long and thin like a mini screwdriver or an unbent paper clip try playing the strings with one hand while changing the settings. I think the pots control the frequencies at which the BassBalls' twin filters operate, and I was able to match the effect much better to the sound of my StingRay after a few minutes of tweaking. The whole reason I found the pots in my BassBalls was that I was replacing the cheap-ass footswitch that broke after the pedal took a short trip from the top of my amp to the floor inside its wooden crate. I have owned Sovtek BigMuffs and a Small Stone that also featured terrible parts and workmanship-I'd definitely go for the US made reissue.

12. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Well this is strange, I've been hearing about bass balls for years and it was only a day ago I actually saw one in a local music shop so I get a demo of it in action and yes it does have a very 'unique' sound played fingerstyle but when I slapped it didnt track well at all.

which was a bit disappointing.

Also when I turned off the distortion the effect disappeared????

Kind of a shame really cos I really like the sound.

13. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    One big problem with the BassBalls is that the filters on it are pretty slow, and with higher settings of the sensitivity control it takes even longer for the filters to cycle. I ended up using mine mostly on slow-to-midtempo songs with either pick or fingers--it just won't cut it for jackhammer slapping. I have had great results using it on guitar and routing it thru the FX sends of my Tascam 4-track for trippy remix FX on drums and vocals, too. On mine the effect is definitely audible with the distortion off so there may be something wrong with the unit you tried.

The BassBalls only does a couple of things but it does them well. That's a compromise I can accept for $70. If you're looking for something with more features try an EBS BassIq, a Line 6 Filter Modeler or a Q-Tron (I've tried the HAZ Labs Mu-Tron III reissue and I thought it was a noisy piece of junk).

14. nymph

nymph

Mar 16, 2001
    Bucyrus Ohio
    as long as i don't slap it's ok is that what i'm getting at

15. nymph

nymph

Mar 16, 2001
    Bucyrus Ohio
    Depending on the # i put it on it sound's weird on 1 and really cool on 10 so go from there.

16. FOE_Bass

FOE_Bass Guest

Jun 29, 2000
    Grass Valley, CA
    HAHAHA, I remember that story. That's what actually made me open mine up.:)

17. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    How bout a Russian EH Bass Balls with 1/8 Center +.. would an adapter with slightly higher voltage be ok or bettter than the std 9v @ 500ma.. for example 300 ma at 12v? What would be ideal adapter amperage/voltage

18. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    "The BassBalls were, The BassBalls are and The BassBalls yet will be." - The Necronomicon :D

19. giacomini

giacomini

Dec 14, 2008
    Florianopolis - Brazil
    Endorsing: Copetti Guitars
    12 years... you just woke up the dead!

:D