Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass & Banjo?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by notduane, Jul 15, 2001.

1. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I just don't get these things :confused:.

I guess if it's good enough for Victor Wooten...http://www.jobass.com/

This one's only $2,995 (case extra :D )

[​IMG]

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

It just sounds like a cheap bass through a guitar amp with maybe a little chorus to me.

I think Gibson get the "credit" for crossbreeding the bass with the banjo

Gibson started screwing around with the bass, even before they made all their "Edsels" after 1960.

This Gibson honey, a mando-bass, is for sale for around $4k, including the high end electronics. All you have to do is figure out how to get your hand down to the strings.

[​IMG]

3. I am getting me one of those. Right after I get a drum kit/piano in one.

4. I'm thinking about just getting a regular banjo and tuning it in fourths. I've tried banjos in fourths and I found that certain banjos feel natural to me. The reason I want one is so that I can practice "bass" when I'm at work or school since it would be impossible for me to lug my bass and amp around. Technically it's not a bass, but from an ear training point of view it would work, at least for practicing soloing. Besides, I do enjoy the sound of a good banjo.

5. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    alexssandro
    hey... I have 3 banjo... a deering banjo guitar (with super light strings...weighs like 20 pounds), a standard 5 string banjo tuned in 5ths (c,B,E,A,D).. and a 4 string piccolo bass banjo... I got bored when I used to do instrument repairs.. so I built it.

But yeah.. that jobass is ugly!

The kind that les claypool has is badass! I've seen a company that makes them... they didn't seem too expensive.. just do a search for bass banjo on yahoo somewhere