Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass bar pulling away from top

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by 'nother, Sep 17, 2005.

1. 'nother

'nother

Sep 17, 2005
    My bass has been acting funky lately, buzzing and whatnot and today I found out why: looked inside and saw that the bass bar has separated from the top :rollno:, from the bottom to about just below the bridge. As a result, the top has collapsed a little, so the action has lowered (explains the buzzing). It is still sort of playable but . . . well, funky as I said.

Anyone care to make some generalizations on whether this is fixable and/or what's it gonna cost me? I'm in the S.F. Bay Area, California. The bass is not worth a ton of money so I'm reluctant to put more into the repair than it's worth. But on the other hand buying a new bass is going to put the hurt on my pocketbook right now :crying: so I want to try to get an idea. Going to visit some local luthiers as soon as I can.

Any advice in the meantime (e.g. should I loosen string tension to prevent further issues)?

:bawl: Thanks . . . :bawl:

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Loosen strings NOW.. NOW>>

If you want to lessen the damage and save the Bass STOP playing it. Take it to a GOOD Bass repair person ASAP. I don't know your Bass or value either. Your Profile is not very detailed. To fix this, they have to remove the Top, Re-shape it to fix any 'sinking' make and fit a new Bass bar and all other related work. I estimate 2000-3000. I don't know prices there but 2k would almost be a gift from start to finish with all related work to make it playable again. If this is a Plywood Bass, then it may be an easier job.

3. 'nother

'nother

Sep 17, 2005
    Thanks for the reply. Sorry on the lack of detail . . . it's a ply, 50s-era "Pfreschner". I have no additional information on it (model, etc.), as bought it used about 6 years ago and that's all I know. It's been fine for a long time but just recently started going funky.

If $2-3K is what it's going to cost me I think I might as well just start looking for a new (to me) bass 'cuz I doubt this one's even worth $1K though I may still carry on with getting an estimate just to see.

:bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

4. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    aww, don't cry. If this is a plywood then it may not be such a difficult repair. The top can be loosed from the ribs to above the c-bout and the bar can usually be accessed and reglued. Not entirely elegant but not 2k either.

5. 'nother

'nother

Sep 17, 2005
    Well, just got back from one luthier and he's saying upwards of $700, which is more than I paid for the bass originally. I'm not sure I want to pour more money into this one when a new/different one might be a better investment longer term . . . or not?

6. jstiel

jstiel Jim Stiel

Jun 5, 2004
    Lake Orion, MI
    [QUOTE='nother]Well, just got back from one luthier and he's saying upwards of $700, which is more than I paid for the bass originally. I'm not sure I want to pour more money into this one when a new/different one might be a better investment longer term . . . or not?[/QUOTE]

What you paid for it might not be the key consideration. I think the key is if the value after repair is at least equal to the value as-is plus the cost of the repair. If so, I would fix it.