Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass-based jazz?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by motherfunker, Sep 26, 2005.

1. motherfunker

motherfunker

Apr 29, 2002
    New York
    I want to be a huge jazz fan, yet at the same time, i can't stand wailing brass instruments, and loud piano fortes even as jazzy as they are. I want more.....subdued and bass-oriented jazz.

so basically, i'm looking for jazz that's mostly bass, guitar, and keyboard based. any suggestions?

2. Charles Mingus's music features the bass well. Horns also, but he's got a lot of great bass in there.

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Medeski Martin Wood
    Jacob Fred Jazz Oddyssey
    Mike Watt's lastest album
    Marcus Miller
    Trio Convulsant
    "Fusion Era" Miles Davis

4. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Good for Cows is an avant garde bass/drum duo. Weird stuff, but worth checking out.

5. Pat Metheny's trio records: Trio 99->00, '80-'81, Bright Size Life
    Oscar Peterson's stuff w/Ray Brown on it

6. Bela Fleck & The Flecktones. Well, I don't know if this is really Jazz, but's damn good. Their album Flight Of The Cosmic Hippo is one of my favorite CDs.

7. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Check out Brian Bromberg's "Wood." It's upright bass, but great stuff. It's the sort of thing even non-bass players will like.

Avishai Cohen's new album is great too. Mostly upright, but there are some electric tracks.

If you're completely new to jazz, you might want to get initiated by listening to "The Bad Plus," Brad Meldhau, Kurt Rosenwinkel, Esbjorn Svensson Trio and others in that new generation of ECM-influenced twentysomething not-wanting-to-just-be-Coldplay jazzbo hipsters. No screeching bebop there.

8. Jaco Pastorius/Weather Report?

9. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I think alot of jazz has a large focus on the bass.

10. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    Check out Grant Green, his later stuff is pretty funky also.
    Wes Montgomery
    Django Reinhardt
    Some Thelonious Monk

11. darkblack99

darkblack99 Supporting Member

'bass-based jazz'?

Isn't that a redundancy?...Kind of like Sexy sexual...?

IMO, jazz is all about the bass, but sometimes it's hard to make out, depends on the arrangement.

Look up the greats and work outwards, it's a process of discovery.

:bassist:

12. How about any of John Scofield's trio work?

13. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    For straight ahead stuff it's hard to beat Bill Evans: Live at the Village Vanguard. Scott Lefaro rips on this one.

14. stanley clarke

15. Maybe not bass orientated, but maybe more for you that that "wailing jazz" you mentioned

The Keith Jarret Trio
    everone gets a fair share (Piano, Bass, Drums)

+1 on the bella fleck

Dave weckl (more on the drummer but niiice)

Jaco Pastorius

Victor Wooten

Garry Peacock (magnifisant bassist)

oh yeah,
    and don't feorget Herbie Hancock "Headhunters"

and if you do decide to get anything with trumpet you MUST get Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" If you are ever stranded with one CD for the rest of your life, it should be that one. ..Or "My Funny Valentine" also by Miles Davis. The more you listn to it, the better it gets

hope thats some help
    alexx

16. Chrisrtian McBride

17. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    All good suggestions. Try this as well -

Go to Pandora.com and type in Metheny, Acoustic Alchemy, Joe Sample. That should get you started. Also try any of the suggestions from other posts. You'll get all kinds of ideas.

18. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    A couple of Diana Krall's albums are just bass, guitar, and piano. Christian McBride sounds great on her CD "Love Scenes". That CD really got me back into jazz bass.

19. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I think people should stop perverting the term "jazz" by using it to describe people like Victor Wooten, Weather Report, and Marcus Miller (I've been told he's done some jazz, but all I've ever heard out of him if funk).

20. calling victor wooten, marcus miller or the weather report jazz isn't perverting the term jazz. Jazz isn't just a blues shuffle, jazz is about voicing. The beat and the rhythm are not what jazz is about, its about the choice of notes and chords.